PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] "GUI-base" install image?

ElecCham
May 15th, 2010, 07:58 PM
So first off... congratulations and thanks for Lucid; this is IMHO the best Ubuntu release since Hardy.

I have several machines in the house running some flavour or other of Ubuntu - the firewall/router ran Ubuntu Server until a few months ago (I've replaced it with Vyatta - there were just too many things I needed that eBox wouldn't do); my wife's and my laptops run Kubuntu Lucid; the Thinkpad X30 my 7-year-old uses runs Xubuntu Lucid; the media machine currently runs Kubuntu Karmic (soon to be replaced by Lucid Netbook Edition and possibly "Ubuntu Light"); and I'm planning to try Ubuntu Studio on my audio recording/editing machine.

My dilemma is that as things stand right now, I would want five different ISO images in order to support all those configurations - and once I've tried a given release and am happy with it, I tend to install it quite a few times (particularly if something doesn't go well...!)

What I'm doing right now is using the "mini" image and doing a network install, but even though I have a pretty fast network connection, this is less than ideal. What I would really want is an image with all the packages common to all the GUI images, but without the window manager and WM-specific packages. From there, I could do a network install of the particular variant I want; in a perfect world, I could download an "add-on" image for each variant. (I'm pretty sure that this would also be a sane base for Ubuntu Server.)

I know that the ability exists to build "roll-your-own" images, but I can't help but think that I'm not the only person with this issue, and that this might even simplify the "default" packaging process.

I don't know how hard this would be to accomplish; any thoughts, folks?