PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] How do I set a sudo/root theme in Xfce?

fredbird67
May 15th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I'm running PC/OS, which is based on Xubuntu, and I've got something rather ambitious I'd like to do here. Due to a little bug I ran into when installing Shiki-Colors in Synaptic (All the Arc-Colors themes also showed up in the GTK theme list, and they DON'T belong there!), I had to put them all into the /home/userID/.themes directories for each user on here in order to fix that bug.

However, I can't stand that ugly default theme that appears when I'm doing something that requires administrative privileges. Therefore, I'd like to know if there's a way to make the root user use the Shiki-Wine GTK theme and the GNOME-Wine icon theme? Better yet, if possible, I'd like to have it do this regardless of whether the theme I'm currently using is found in /usr/share/themes or in my local .themes folder.

I've found a way on here to do this using GNOME, but I don't know how to do this for Xfce, since I would assume that the command involved to open Xfce's theme settings would be different from the one for GNOME'S theme settings. Any ideas?

Thanx in advance,
Fred in St. Louis

portentum
May 15th, 2010, 08:30 PM
The root home directory is /root, so /root/.themes would be the equivalent for that.

For changing the xfce settings, you can simply sudo xfce4-settings-manager.

Hope this helps.

fredbird67
May 16th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Well, I tried all that, but I opened Synaptic and still got the ugly "Raleigh" theme and the GNOME default icons. Oh well, it's not that big a deal -- it was just an idea. Thanx for trying, though.

portentum
May 16th, 2010, 05:58 AM
Hmmm.. I'm downloading a PC/OS iso right now to play with this some, as default behavior on my Debian system and the Xubuntu live disc I just ran is to use the user theme for applications run as root.

If I understood your problem correctly applications you sudo are not using your user theme, which is located both in ~/.themes and /root/.themes? The only problem I could find was an old Ubuntu bug report saying it wouldn't use a theme if it was only located in ~/.themes. Hmmm.

I was 100MB into a PC Linux OS download before I realized PC/OS was actually a distro and not shorthand. :oops:

Hopefully we'll get this figured out, I'm interested in what's going on.

edit: Do you have a /root/.gtkrc-2.0 file? If not, does creating one with the desired settings help?

Example settings:

gtk-theme-name="Shiki-Wine"
gtk-icon-theme-name="gnome-wine"

edit2: Well, I'm stumped.
After downloading a PC/OS live disc, I've successfully switched the root theme. I did it using the same instructions above. :s
I copied the ~/.themes and ~/.icons folders to /root/, then used sudo xfce4-settings-manager to set the theme and icon sets. Synaptic and other applications run as root then had the proper themes when run under a normal user account.