PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need some reasurance please!!!

bix15
May 15th, 2010, 06:51 PM
I am thinking about upgrading to 10.04 Lucid Lynx from my current setup, (9.10) and I'm kinda geekin' out here...
I'm pretty new to Linux. I recently bought a computer with Ubuntu 9.10 pre-installed back in November and am wondering if there are any big risks involved. My thinking is that if anything goes wrong I know I wouldn't have the first clue on how to fix it!!

So I'm wondering...
1. Is the upgrade worth it in the first place?

2. If so, how should I go about upgrading? (I was just thinking about using the update manager, it might suck idk...sue me)

3. I guess you could call me a super new user considering I've only been using Linux for about 4 or 5 months, so I don't know if I want the most complicated directions possible if you know what I mean. I am willing to do a little bit of work but I don't want to be doing clean install here!

P.S. If it helps at all, I'm using a System 76 Pangolin Performance.
Oh yeah and how long might the install take??

THANK YOU!!!! :)

cdavid13
May 15th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I just up graded to 10.04 LTS and hate it mainly because it reminds me more of an apple set up. The close window min window and max window are on the other side and I dont like the color sceme.

But Yes the update manger is the way to go it take no skill just simply putting in your password. But It does have four desk to work from instead of the two with 9.04 but its all personal preferance. But if you are worried about huge change its not at all.

So didn't really give asurance because i do not like the new set up of the 10.04 compared to the 9.04 but both so far have been sound and very easy upgrades through the update manager.

howefield
May 15th, 2010, 07:07 PM

I'd say very much worth it for a number of reasons, the only reason for not doing it would be your aforementioned lack of clue.

2. If so, how should I go about upgrading?

The update manager is the supported method, but many users prefer a clean install. But you have already indicated your choice.

Oh yeah and how long might the install take?

Depends on the speed of your internet connection, maybe an hour.

You want to back up everything you would not want to lose before doing the upgrade, (actually, irrespective of doing such work on your system, you'd want a backup).

I'd also image the disk with clonezilla as insurance against something going wrong.

23dornot23d
May 15th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Is your system running perfectly well at the moment ..... and what do you want to try to gain from the new version.

The upgrade could go well but if it does not ..... you may have some problems to sort out .....

I was advised when I first came on here ,,,,, upgrades rarely work ,,,,, but that was after I upgraded and it

failed to set up everything properly sound / graphics.................. but with some work I got it all working again ....... it takes time sometimes

and not all of us have that ,,,,,,

So the choice ...... if you have problems with your current system ...... it may be worth trying .....

A clean install alongside the one you already have ..........

But if your current system is running perfectly well ..... I would advise to stick with it a bit longer till

you feel confident that you can correct any problems that might occur ........

How big is your hard drive too ...... you could maybe do a clean install in some free space to try it first ....

Obviously try the live CD first to check that you like it ..... and all works well ........... from that ...

Best I can say at the moment ..........

darkod
May 15th, 2010, 07:42 PM
Backup any important data. Then, especially if you don't have too many tweaks in your 9.10, you can try the upgrade.
If that fails for what ever reason, you still have the option to do clean install, because your data is backed up and you will not have too many things to tweak in your new system.

One of the reasons to upgrade/clean install 10.04 LTS would be that it's LTS install (Long Term Supported). It will be supported for 3yrs, and the next LTS is usually scheduled in 2yrs.
So once you set up your 10.04 the way you want it, there is no reason to upgrade every 6 months. It's supported long, you can wait for the next LTS. By then, you would want the updated version most probably anyway.
9.10 as a 'standard' release has support for 18 months, and it's already 6 months old. Relatively soon it will stop being supported and you will have to think about upgrade, and by that time you will have more and more specific settings and software to replicate in the new install.

bix15
May 16th, 2010, 04:10 AM
Is it possible,or likely that the current drivers that i have installed won't work or re-sync with ubuntu 10.04??!!
That's actually the main thing I'm woriied about...

23dornot23d
May 16th, 2010, 06:46 AM
Is this the specification for it ....... System 76 Pangolin Performance (http://www.ghacks.net/2009/05/26/review-system76-pangolin-performance-laptop/)

Ubuntu 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) 64 Bit Linux
15.4″ WXGA Super Clear Glossy LCD (1280 x 800)
512 MB DDR2 nVidia GeForce G105M
Core 2 Duo P8600 2.40 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 3 MB L2 (25 Watt)
2 GB – DDR2 800 MHZ x 1 DIMM
250 GB 5400 RPM SATA II
CD-RW / DVD-RW
Intel Wi-Fi Link 5100 – 802.11A/B/G/N Up to 300 Mbps

Just had a quick scan for the Graphics card ..... if this is the same as in your machine ,,,

has there have been a few people with 64 bit and certain Geforce cards having problems ..... check yours below if this is
the correct specification for it .........

Geforce G105M (http://www.google.com/cse?cx=002683415331144861350%3Atsq8didf9x0&q=512+MB+DDR2+nVidia+GeForce+G105M+lucid+solved&ie=utf-8&sa=Search)

I search on solved or problem issues ...... usually gives a good feel for if there have been many problems ...

I cannot find many people having issues here ..... but check yourself and also ........

Check the Wifi too .... as most things can be solved if you can see what you are doing and also
can get a internet connection ........

Did you try the live CD to see if the wifi works ..... go on the internet using the live CD and Lucid
if the Graphics card has a problem you will know that pretty quickly ..... when you boot up ....

It will either give you more confidence or give you a good feel for any problems that may arise .....

Sound is the last thing that I bother with but its worth checking too while the live CD is running.

Hope this helps ...... and hope that the specification is the one in your machine ,,,,, check it out

if there are any problems people should have reported them by now .......

garvinrick4
May 16th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I am thinking about upgrading to 10.04 Lucid Lynx from my current setup, (9.10) and I'm kinda geekin' out here...
I'm pretty new to Linux. I recently bought a computer with Ubuntu 9.10 pre-installed back in November and am wondering if there are any big risks involved. My thinking is that if anything goes wrong I know I wouldn't have the first clue on how to fix it!!

So I'm wondering...

2. If so, how should I go about upgrading? (I was just thinking about using the update manager, it might suck idk...sue me)

3. I guess you could call me a super new user considering I've only been using Linux for about 4 or 5 months, so I don't know if I want the most complicated directions possible if you know what I mean. I am willing to do a little bit of work but I don't want to be doing clean install here!

P.S. If it helps at all, I'm using a System 76 Pangolin Performance.
Oh yeah and how long might the install take??

THANK YOU!!!! :)Have you thought of taking a small hunk of your drive and making a dual boot. I real nice install of 10.04 is only 4 to 5 gig most, mine is 3.3 gig and I use a seperate /home so both installs can use the same documents, music ect. ect. ect. If you screw it up just reinstall. Not real hard to do, I got time if you need some direction I can give you blow by blow discreption and why you do it also, no good just getting it right must understand why you are doing things so you can grow. If interested dowload an .iso file of 10.04 and burn it at a slow speed it a CD.

Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download)

TironN
May 16th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Have you thought of taking a small hunk of your drive and making a dual boot. I real nice install of 10.04 is only 4 to 5 gig most, mine is 3.3 gig and I use a seperate /home so both installs can use the same documents, music ect. ect. ect. If you screw it up just reinstall. Not real hard to do, I got time if you need some direction I can give you blow by blow discreption and why you do it also, no good just getting it right must understand why you are doing things so you can grow. If interested dowload an .iso file of 10.04 and burn it at a slow speed it a CD.

Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu (http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download)

This is a great idea!

A seperate home is the best thing to do and it also allows for a clean install which is much better in the long run!