PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] for devs: Please stop changing Gnome's visual style

Envergure
May 15th, 2010, 05:01 PM
It seems like with every new release there's a new visual style. Normally it's OK, but in 10.04 there are some changes that affect usability:

First of all, the new "subtle" sliders are nearly invisible (at least on my monitor). I have just changed themes, so that's OK now.

Second problem: The status icons are different again. First it was two computer monitors, then it was two cables, and now it's two arrows, and each time it takes me a week or so to get used to the new symbols because I've been seeing the old ones for six months or a year.

Third: Please add a way to choose which side of the window the close/minimize buttons go on. Since I'm dual-booting Windows and Ubuntu it confuses me that the buttons change sides. Fortunately the Clearlooks theme still has them on the right.

That's all. Thanks for taking the time to read this feedback.

robincawser
May 15th, 2010, 07:00 PM
Try ubuntu-tweak (http://ubuntu-tweak.com/) if you want to change the position of the close/min/max buttons with a GUI.

CPPCrispy
May 15th, 2010, 07:14 PM
It seems like with every new release there's a new visual style. Normally it's OK, but in 10.04 there are some changes that affect usability:

First of all, the new "subtle" sliders are nearly invisible (at least on my monitor). I have just changed themes, so that's OK now.

Second problem: The status icons are different again. First it was two computer monitors, then it was two cables, and now it's two arrows, and each time it takes me a week or so to get used to the new symbols because I've been seeing the old ones for six months or a year.

Third: Please add a way to choose which side of the window the close/minimize buttons go on. Since I'm dual-booting Windows and Ubuntu it confuses me that the buttons change sides. Fortunately the Clearlooks theme still has them on the right.

That's all. Thanks for taking the time to read this feedback.

Second that.