PDA

View Full Version : I have used Linux so long that I forgot how to use windows.

Icarus_Complex
May 15th, 2010, 04:38 PM
It's horrible. A relative of mine was trying to set up something in windows and I was completely lost. It took me forever trying to connect her new machine to the network.
Anyone else like this?

Nightstrike2009
May 15th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I aim to achieve that it sounds a blessing not a curse, I wish I could forget all about it too my friend LOL :-)

PS: I am currently a dual-booter seeking to throw Windows in the recycle bin permanently, weird thing is I am sick of people asking me how to do things in Windows but more than happy to help with Ubuntu. Weird eh?

Icarus_Complex
May 15th, 2010, 05:10 PM
weird thing is I am sick of people asking me how to do things in Windows but more than happy to help with Ubuntu. Weird eh?

Not weird at all, When I use to use Windows and Linux, I would become irritated helping someone with windows, and after I did help them I would try to mention Linux... and the common question about it was "What's an operating system?"

(Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be anti-windows, it is just not my cup of tea or whatever.)

malspa
May 15th, 2010, 05:17 PM
"I have used Linux so long that I forgot how to use windows."

I know the feeling. I feel kinda lost on a Windows machine these days. It's a struggle to help folks out, and sort of frustrating and irritating. I'm always happy to get back to my nice, peaceful Linux machine.

scouser73
May 15th, 2010, 05:19 PM
My brother has XP and when he calls me to come and help fix something, it takes me ages to remember what I needed to do to fix the pc.

ericmc783
May 15th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Well, I still use windows XP at work, so I never am away from it.

LeifAndersen
May 15th, 2010, 05:22 PM
I've had the same thing happen to me. I find it sad that people keep asking me for help, and I find it very difficult, and more times than not, I end up having to use Google to find the answer, and I keep thinking, "Why can't they do this themselves?".

Icarus_Complex
May 15th, 2010, 05:28 PM
I've had the same thing happen to me. I find it sad that people keep asking me for help, and I find it very difficult, and more times than not, I end up having to use Google to find the answer, and I keep thinking, "Why can't they do this themselves?".

Haha, me too. Sometimes I use " Let me Google that for you " ( http://lmgtfy.com/ )
It's hilarious when I do it to my friends.. even though they get mad.

ronnielsen1
May 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM
Yeah, I've stared at a windows computer wondering how to become root

TMKCodes
May 15th, 2010, 06:27 PM
When i go into windows pc to help someone, the first thing i'm looking for where's the terminal. Then i realize this is windows and crappy DOS clone terminal.

Greg
May 15th, 2010, 06:34 PM
It takes me a bit longer to do anything, but I can almost always figure it out still. My biggest problem is when I try to use my keybindings to swtich desktops or refresh a page on the internet, or when I try to use cmd.

Ms_Angel_D
May 15th, 2010, 07:52 PM
Not weird at all, When I use to use Windows and Linux, I would become irritated helping someone with windows

I know exactly what you mean, I get frustrated so easily trying to "help" with window...it's just not my thing any more.

Guitar John
May 15th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Perhaps we need some sort of a 12-step recovery program.

"My name is John, and I have used Linux so long that I forgot how to use windows."

toupeiro
May 15th, 2010, 08:03 PM
I'm pretty sure if I didn't support it in pockets at work, I'd forget it as well.

toupeiro
May 15th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Perhaps we need some sort of a 12-step recovery program.

"My name is John, and I have used Linux so long that I forgot how to use windows."

... Would we be leading it, or attending it?

alcohol52
May 15th, 2010, 08:13 PM
Is it modesty on your part or vanity?

ZazzyE
May 15th, 2010, 08:13 PM
I think I was born to be tech support. Lemme break the software as many different ways as I can so I can recognize it when I see it, only to find the customer "broke their cupholder"... again.

Somehow, I'm doing the windows tech support thing still for my friends. I don't charge for things that I *really* could, they help me out in other ways.

PC Tools firewall plus, avast, ccleaner, Mydefrag... that's what I install on every windows machine I touch. It's not opensource, but hey, its good software for free.

I just can't get away from it.

wilee-nilee
May 15th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Having started out as a open source user, windows is easy.
If you have forgotten you probably, just don't want to know or remember. Windows compared to almost any open source is like playing a old game of pong.

Nightstrike2009
May 15th, 2010, 08:27 PM
By Ms_Angel_D:I know exactly what you mean, I get frustrated so easily trying to "help" with window...it's just not my thing any more.

I feel this problem will always be with us, the problem is noobs see a PC like a device like a toaster or a kettle. The fact is a PC is more like a car it needs regular maintainance, checking for (data) safety and needs to be repaired from time to time.

The second issue is some noobs are just not willing to learn (or even try to) a lot of us spent a lot of time (and in repair cases money) learning what we know but ******* noobs treated me like a free help desk, for god's sake whats wrong with learning? It was a case of he uses ******* ask him? The solution was to stop using it LOL

I've had it with ******* users if there not willing to learn they can get lost in my book, but i am prepared to help anyway I can with Ubuntu problems or (Windows virtualisation problems on Ubuntu).

If they aren't willing to at least make an attempt to learn and gain more knowledge (******* or Linux), then I retract my help. In my opinion they aren't fit to own a PC and should never have bought it in the first place. :-(

nothingspecial
May 15th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I never knew in the fist place.

And every time I acquire a new computer I have a go for a bit, then think sod it!, and install linux over the whole drive.

mkendall
May 15th, 2010, 09:51 PM
It's horrible. A relative of mine was trying to set up something in windows and I was completely lost. It took me forever trying to connect her new machine to the network.
Anyone else like this?

It took me forever to figure this out when I was a Windows user so don't fret too much.

"Windows should be simpler." An easy benchmark to surpass.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 15th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I like this thread.

Last week, just before I was going to work, I was asked to change the passwords on all the computers in the house that the grandchildren use. It became necessary that my grandchildren ask permission to use the computers for disciplinary reasons. I though about it for a few seconds. I thought about using ssh to each computer from my laptop, and changing the password. Then I remembered that the two computers that we use for Internet TV/Movies are Microsoft Windows boxes; because, of proprietary formats and DRM not supported for Linux. One is Windows 7 and the other Vista. I thought OMG, I can't remember how to change a password on a Microsoft Windows box. So I waited until I got home from work that evening to change the passwords. It took several guesses to find the right place to change the password on the Windows 7 and Vista machines. After I figured it out for Vista, I though I could do the same for Windows 7, but NO they are different.

Edit: With 8 computers in the house, I am thinking about setting up LDAP. :)

Frogs Hair
May 15th, 2010, 11:32 PM
When I use W7 I find myself looking for a drop down menu on the top left and thats only after 3.5 months.

Little Bones
May 15th, 2010, 11:45 PM
I'm still more in touch with Windows then my dad is, anything past 98 and he's lost. XP he's ok with but he was really good with 95 and 98. I'm the first person most of my friends come to for computer help, so I usually have the joy of pointing out "but on my Ubuntu system, I don't have this problem". I keep Windows around solely for the fact that being in school I may at some point need to install a program that's Windows only.

I managed to successfully convert another person frustrated by Vista's poor performance.

Little Bones
May 15th, 2010, 11:47 PM
It took me forever to figure this out when I was a Windows user so don't fret too much.

"Windows should be simpler." An easy benchmark to surpass.

Dear God, MS is an industry leading expert in making simple tasks and changes 100 times more complicated and frustrating then they should be.

xpod
May 15th, 2010, 11:58 PM
I`d only used Windows(computers) for 4 short months before discovering Ubuntu/Linux and although i`ve never once installed it on any of my own computers since removing it from that first one some 4 years ago i still know my way round Windows better than practically everybody i know, in the real world anyway...

Go figure...:???:

lisati
May 15th, 2010, 11:59 PM
and the common question about it was "What's an operating system?"

A variant of this that I've heard is "What's Windows?", and this wasn't from a fanboy but from someone who, AFAIK, has used nothing else.

I can relate to this: one of my in-laws, with two degrees, wants me to help them with some video editing with a view to putting it on DVD. I could probably work how to do it, but I'm a bit put off by not having used the software I know they have for what I think they want to do.