PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] k3b dependencies

Crempel
May 15th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Whilst running Lucid with the Gnome desktop only, I find k3b the by far best cd-burning program for linux. When I tried to install it via synaptic, I was presented with a huge number of QT/KDE dependencies; almost a mini install of KDE 4. I have "consider recommended packages as dependencies" unchecked!
I thought that only the runtime-libraries were required - does anyone know how to install k3b without half of KDE?
Thank you in advance!

cascade9
May 15th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Heres the list of dependancies-

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/k3b

If that counts as 'half of KDE' (it might be nmore than half LOL) then there is no way out ;)

Crempel
May 15th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Thanks Cascade9, that confirms that indeed there are quite a few dependencies. OK, maybe it' not half of KDE...
P.S. Marc Webber's on pole in Monaco.

cascade9
May 15th, 2010, 04:35 PM
You could always install KDE :lolflag:

I quite like KDE 4.X, but I can see why some people perfer Gnome/Xfce/Lxde, etc.

tachuela
May 15th, 2010, 04:40 PM
I usually install k3b, Konqueror and the whole KDE library

Crempel
May 15th, 2010, 05:58 PM
For many years I preferred KDE over gnome. In the end I used LXDE as my PC was getting old and slow. Having now a powerful 64-bit AMD-CPU and 4 gigs of RAM I tried KDE 4 and somehow it had lost its appeal for me. Maybe it was Kubuntu which I believe really is a "poor cousin" to Ubuntu, and I didn't want to go thru the rigmarole of installing KDE on Ubuntu and then have to delete all the Gnome/gtk stuff. But IMHO quite a few KDE-Apps (incl. k3b) beat their Gnome counterparts. Thus my inquiry about k3b dependencies. Thanks to everyone for their response.

pushkin22
June 3rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
Whilst running Lucid with the Gnome desktop only, I find k3b the by far best cd-burning program for linux. When I tried to install it via synaptic, I was presented with a huge number of QT/KDE dependencies; almost a mini install of KDE 4. I have "consider recommended packages as dependencies" unchecked!
I thought that only the runtime-libraries were required - does anyone know how to install k3b without half of KDE?
Thank you in advance!

Just remove kpackagekit and than some of the kde packages will be "auto removable", so you can easily uninstall them. :)

Crempel
June 7th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks for your tip, pushkin22, but kpackagekit was not installed when i installed k3b. Anyway, the additional kde files don't slow down the system when unsing gtk-apps, and k3b works properly.