PDA

View Full Version : When is going to be released : UBUNTU WORKSTATIONS?

frenchn00b
May 15th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Hello,

What are the advantage of using LINUX? - Multiple.
On of the great success of Linux is the possibility of running Servers, which are fast and reliable. Google is a great example of possibilities using Linux.

So, usually guys, you are running fileserver, samba, nfs, ssh, ssh jailed, webserver, apache ... and many more.

Ok, for basics users that are using the server, i.e. fileserver, unfortunately making a server and workstations for a regular network is kind of non human still.

Running an LDAP (for a server with the login/password) + on the top a samba (sharing files/folders with Windows XP) + NFS (sharing /home and setting /home the same on all workstations) is really for experts and not for Ubuntu users.

So what is doing the Ubuntu community? Where are the easy n00b's networking?

It is not for LINUX a necessity to be complicated. Ubuntu was created for being HUMAN, I recall.

Sporkman
May 15th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Missing dependency: point

djinnkeeper
May 15th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Things can always be expedited and made more efficient, but should the features you describe be so effortlessly configurable? I mean, it sounds like a setup complicated enough to require you to know (at least somewhat) what you're doing.. and with enough possible variation that it would be difficult to anticipate a "default" setup for such an arrangement.

Perhaps you might provide a more in depth analysis of how you think the entire process could be improved.
:popcorn:

PryGuy
May 15th, 2010, 03:06 PM
i mean, it sounds like a setup complicated enough to require you to know (at least somewhat) what you're doing..+1 Let the sysadmins do the server stuff. Microsoft does point-and-click server solutions for nOObs (as the OP said) and we all know how it all works.

Shining Arcanine
May 15th, 2010, 03:08 PM
Why is this a multiple option poll? I voted all 3 by the way.

djinnkeeper
May 15th, 2010, 03:45 PM
I voted 'Other' .. mostly out of confusion.

Rackstar
May 15th, 2010, 08:38 PM
You forgot the "Wut?" option

Penguin Guy
May 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Why is this a multiple option poll? I voted all 3 by the way.
Beat me to it.

koenn
May 15th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I agree with the OP, the Ubuntu installer should have an "Running an LDAP (for a server with the login/password) + on the top a samba + NFS sharing /home and setting /home the same on all workstations" option.

McRat
May 15th, 2010, 09:31 PM