PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to install w/o CD-ROM or USB?

wolfv6
May 15th, 2010, 07:27 AM
I plan to install Ubuntu on an old Windows 2000 box with broadband, 256 RAM, 20 GB HD, a broken CD-ROM, and two USB ports; but the BIOS has no option for booting from USB.

The HD shall have three partitions: Ubuntu, home, and swap (no Windows partition).

I read the Unetbootin "frugal install" on http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ But the "frugal install" instructions imply that Windows is left on the computer (I don't want the Windows partition).

What is the best way to install Ubuntu without CD-ROM or USB; and overwrite the Windows partition?
I could borrow a CD-ROM from my good computer if that is easier. I have experience installing Ubuntu Lynx on my good computer.

Thank you for sharing your wisdom.

.nedberg
May 15th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I would go with the "borrow CD-ROM" solution.

wieman01
May 15th, 2010, 08:38 AM
You are out of luck on old hardware if you can't get hold of a CD-ROM. I would second that you borrow one.

C.S.Cameron
May 15th, 2010, 04:55 PM
You could always yank tthe hard drive from your computer and stick it in another computer to install Ubuntu to it or even clone Ubuntu from another computer to the hard drive.

howefield
May 15th, 2010, 04:59 PM
You might want to consider what you are installing on that old hardware, you may not be happy with the performance from a stock install of Ubuntu.

wolfv6
May 15th, 2010, 05:36 PM
You might want to consider what you are installing on that old hardware, you may not be happy with the performance from a stock install of Ubuntu.
I was wondering if 256 mb RAM would be enough. The PC will be used to check Hotmail on Firefox, view videos, and sometimes word processing. Word processing and video would never be done simultaneously. I suppose I could test the performance from a live CD before installing.

I will put a CD into the computer for the duration of the install.

Thank you all for your advice.

dino99
May 15th, 2010, 05:38 PM
install light desktop as lxde or xfce ( Lubuntu, xubuntu) with the "minimal" metapackage

wolfv6
May 16th, 2010, 10:07 PM
You could always yank tthe hard drive from your computer and stick it in another computer to install Ubuntu to it or even clone Ubuntu from another computer to the hard drive.

Great idea Cameron. I will put the hard drive on my good PC. With two hard drives on my PC, is there a way to use one hard drive to install Lubuntu on the other hard drive? Or is it easier to burn a CD?

Thank you.

C.S.Cameron
May 17th, 2010, 03:39 AM
I always find it handy to have a Live CD around, for reinstalling grub, partitioning or what not.

wolfv6
May 17th, 2010, 05:55 AM
I always find it handy to have a Live CD around, for reinstalling grub, partitioning or what not.

But the CD in the old computer doesn't work, so in my case, a live CD is of no use.

wilee-nilee
May 17th, 2010, 06:07 AM
But the CD in the old computer doesn't work, so in my case, a live CD is of no use.

I would install puppy linux with that amount of ram and a old graphic card, here is one I use that has FF3.6 and Open Office 3.2.
http://puppylinux.org/news/puplets/haro-puplet-for-internet-cafe/
It has a different desktop that has conky and some other things stock, runs very fast. This is the first one on the list.

Dn4mycrownj
May 17th, 2010, 06:11 AM
Go to the flea market and by an old cd-rom. have you tried updating the bios.

I found out that with enough force a compaq presario cd rom will fit in a dell. I had same problem with a dell lap top and just move one cd rom to the other and forced it into the hole. When i got the os install i game my compaq its cd-rom back.

Dn4mycrownj
May 17th, 2010, 06:14 AM
I would install puppy linux with that amount of ram and a old graphic card, here is one I use that has FF3.6 and Open Office 3.2.
http://puppylinux.org/news/puplets/haro-puplet-for-internet-cafe/
It has a different desktop that has conky and some other things stock, runs very fast. This is the first one on the list.

I have used puppy linux it ran pretty good on an old laptop with very little ram. This os will also run just in the ram of other computers if run from a flash drive.