PDA

View Full Version : helping the new ubuntu users.

maizuddin35
May 15th, 2010, 01:19 AM
Hello guys!:D

I've been using ubuntu for 2 years now, and I lovin it.
I have friends who are interested in ubuntu. They want to try it out. But most of them, give up when the total conversion process begins from window to ubuntu.

one of the main problem I see in most of my friend is
-complaining about 'needing the internet most of the time'
--installing drivers and stuffs.

In my place now, the internet is not stable, and there is part where we can't go connect at all.

what do you think about this...
post something up ..
tell us something how you managed to help your friends in ubuntu.
is there a easy way to help them with out the use of internet that much.

i hope you all understand what am I trying to say.:D:D

maizuddin35
May 15th, 2010, 01:21 AM
one think in my mind is.
think a way on installing stuffs and update using cd/thumbdrive/external hardrive..

NightwishFan
May 15th, 2010, 01:29 AM
Aptoncd. :)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/APTonCD

murderslastcrow
May 15th, 2010, 02:57 AM
Yeah, APTonCD if you need to do updates and get new software and the internet isn't stable.

Also, if it's about drivers, just make sure you're there when they install it to show them where to get them, and have ethernet if it's the wireless card (Broadcom cards are the only one I know of with proprietary drivers).

nVidia and ATi graphics cards, Broadcom wireless cards, and some older software modems are the only devices I've come across that don't have a suitable driver available in the kernel. Everything else just works, unless it's just barely been released and not quite in the kernel in Ubuntu, yet. Usually, if that's the case, you can just go to the company's website or Google it, but it's not very common.

When helping new users, always do the following.

1. Assess their needs as a computer user. If there's some Windows-exclusive application that doesn't work well in Wine, and they can't live without it, suggest a dual-boot and offer VirtualBox as a follow-up if they really like Ubuntu. Otherwise, find the applications they will most likely use to cover their needs (if they use iTunes, Photoshop CS2, and IE8, suggest Rhythmbox, GIMP (or Photoshop CS2 in Wine), and Chromium or something that you think they would like. Always keeps what they need from a computer on the front of your mind- don't let the other benefits of Linux cloud your mind.

2. Once you've determined it'll work well for them, show them where to install drivers, the Software Center, and how things are organized in the menus- it's all very simple and easy to grasp with just a little explanation.

3. Remind them of all the other benefits they can look forward to reaping the benefits of, so they understand just how nice it is what they have. Make sure they know they can turn to you for help, and offer them helpful resources like the forums and the Ubuntu Manual.

Just gotta' keep their needs forefront in your mind, and set it up in the most convenient way possible for their situation.

maizuddin35
May 18th, 2010, 04:07 PM
thanks for the tips on that.