PDA

View Full Version : The Ubuntu switch begins.

McRat
May 15th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Well, I moved all 81,000 customer report files for last 17 years from a Win box to a Ubuntu 32 10.04 machine.

Now to turn all the computers back on ... :(

BuffaloX
May 15th, 2010, 12:45 AM
Wow that's a lot of data.
Imagine the paper archive you would need. :P

Since you've successfully kept 17 year old data, it's probably unnecessary to remind you to keep good backups.

Good luck with the switch. :grin:

Sporkman
May 15th, 2010, 01:32 AM
Since you've successfully kept 17 year old data, it's probably unnecessary to remind you to keep good backups.

Ditto! :)

Dobbie03
May 15th, 2010, 01:39 AM
Good luck hope it works out :)

NoVista
May 15th, 2010, 01:39 AM
The files you moved are now all smiling at you :P

McRat
May 15th, 2010, 02:06 AM
Crossing fingers, but everything looks OK.

AND FASTER! :P

One machine that did nothing but run a large format scanner took a LONG time to get back up. It's one of the those WinXP machines that just gets slower over time for no apparent reason. No internet, no games, it's a dumb terminal.

It seems to search and fetch files a lot quicker now, but I didn't measure specifics. I probably should have.

Yes, 17 years of reports is about 35 gb. It's backed up off-site, and on two drives here as well.

If this fails, I just mothballed the old server with no changes tonight. I can just plug it back in.

Monday will be the true test...

"WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE COMPUTERS!!!???" :mad:

:)

Actually nothing changes for them.

murderslastcrow
May 15th, 2010, 02:12 AM
Hah, nice! Glad everything's looking okay. It'll be nice to relax and be able to use a dependable OS. Much less worry.

I hope this continues to proceed favorably. :D Keep us updated.

McRat
May 15th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Wow that's a lot of data.
Imagine the paper archive you would need. :P

It was a lot of paper for sure. I had the first 7 years shredded in February, and it was ~2000 lb worth.

We are slowly but surely going paperless. When I started business, about 50 jobs would fit in a Banker Box, which is about 30-40 lbs of paper. Today, I get about 150 jobs in a box. So about 1/3 the paper I used before. But as a byproduct, the digital files got larger. Most the blueprints we handle now are PDF images that never get printed.

If everything stays OK for a week, I will start replacing desktops one by one. My personal desktop has been a Linux machine for a week now.

foxmulder881
May 15th, 2010, 02:54 AM
What a great story. Hope it all goes well for you and your business.