PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to avoid install documentation packages?

rubenqba
May 14th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Hello to all community.
Is there any way to prevent the installation of packages that contain documentation in Ubuntu?
I'm a developer who live in Cuba and here the connection is so slow that many times, it is impossible to keep the system updated and would be great to know how to avoid downloading the documentation packages, which are usually the largest. Something like it is on Gentoo, with the variable USE="-doc".

davidmohammed
May 14th, 2010, 11:07 PM
from synaptic package manager - search for localepurge. That should reduce the amount of documentation to the minimum - beware of the warning though in the description.

rubenqba
May 14th, 2010, 11:25 PM
from synaptic package manager - search for localepurge. That should reduce the amount of documentation to the minimum - beware of the warning though in the description.

This is a solution, but it only works to clean packages already installed. What I want to solve it, not install the documentation.
For example I would like to install the libboost but not having to download libboost-doc.

davidmohammed
May 14th, 2010, 11:38 PM
If you find an answer then great - however, as far as I understand debian packaging you have to download all related packages otherwise the overall package thinks its broken.

rubenqba
May 14th, 2010, 11:42 PM
It's a shame. Ok, thanks for the help.