PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Fonts Not Looking Right...

roystreet
May 14th, 2010, 05:34 PM
Hello,
...I have found that in MS word/excel that the fonts don't look right, even though it states they are installed. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this also. I have installed the MS fonts after following the guidance. Usually the fonts look thinner than they should. I have recently installed (wubi) 10.04 & haven't installed any office apps to see if it also happens now.
...I will note: This isn't limited to MS software. I see it happen with other software that requires WINE to use. So, I think it is a WINE issue. Has anyone found a resolution to this?
Thanks,
~roystreet

brawd
May 16th, 2010, 11:57 AM
I too have a similar problem.
The 'o's are incomplete, they look like 'c's.
'n's are similar.

Using 10.04 fresh install last night. AMD64x2. nVidia graphics.
No hardware drivers installed yet but just about to install and see what happens.

regards,

brawd.

roystreet
May 17th, 2010, 06:40 PM
Using 10.04 fresh install last night. AMD64x2. nVidia graphics.
No hardware drivers installed yet but just about to install and see what happens.

regards,

brawd.

Hi Brawd - Please let me know how this works out...I'm hopeful that it will fix things!

Thanks!
~roystreet

brawd
May 17th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Hi Roy,

It seems that it only happens when posting online, ironically enough when I post to this forum in particular.

Bear with me while I do a quick test

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn n
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

These are characters suffer the worst.

brawd.

brawd
May 17th, 2010, 08:55 PM
They look fine to me.

But lets not get lulled into a false sense of success here, in the past these faults have shown up later.

I should perhaps add that having installed nVidia driver 96, (never mind the recommended one which doesn't work for me), I haven't installed any other updates.

regards,

brawd.

karanchhabra
May 17th, 2010, 09:24 PM
i had a similar prob but now some how it is correct.
i dont know if this might help but u should give it try\
rightclick>change deskstop back ground> fonts >n chose

roystreet
May 17th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Just to double-check are we talking about the fonts in these applications also? For instance, in a word document, the fonts don't look right. If I were to use that same font in open office, it would look right. I have a non-MS application that uses wine, once again a common type of font, but it looks funny in the application.

Are we all talking about the same thing here?

Thanks,
~roystreet