PDA

View Full Version : Classic Fonts (for Print) on Linux

_axiom_
March 22nd, 2006, 01:52 AM
As a designer, I am very fond of my classic fonts (Futura, Helvetica, Garamond, etc.)

However I have not been able to find any free versions of these kind of fonts. I have had some luck using the Adobe Postscript font with Inkscape, and am able to do some fun type design that way, but the Adobe fonts are obviously not redistributable, and they don't all work right.

Are you guys aware of any projects to create some really high-quality free fonts? Public domain would probably be the best license for these, for the same reason that the Open Clip Art Library uses it.

The Adobe fonts are of course copyrighted, but Claude Garamond died in 1541, and Futura was created in 1926, so I would think that the shapes are in the public domain already.

I feel pretty stongly about these old fonts, and would be willing to help create new versions of them, but I am not really sure where to start.

IYY
March 22nd, 2006, 02:03 AM
I think the 'art' forum would be a better place for this question. But we really do need some new Free fonts! If you want to make some, try FontForge. (http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/)