PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Increase size of / on usb flash drive

shakeeb
May 14th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Hi

I am booting ubuntu from my usb flash drive and It works very well, but after installing additional s/w using apt I ran in to the problem of low disk space in /. I used the unetboot to create the bootable usb drive.
My drive is 8 gb in size .

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
aufs 1007M 1005M 1.6M 100% /
none 1002M 292K 1002M 1% /dev
/dev/sdb1 7.5G 713M 6.8G 10% /cdrom
/dev/loop0 672M 672M 0 100% /rofs
none 1007M 212K 1006M 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 1007M 196K 1006M 1% /tmp
none 1007M 116K 1007M 1% /var/run
none 1007M 4.0K 1007M 1% /var/lock
none 1007M 0 1007M 0% /lib/init/rw
/dev/sda1 56G 42G 15G 75% /media/System

How do I do this ? Gparted does not work :confused:

Thanks

darkod
May 14th, 2010, 03:11 PM
What are you trying to achieve? unetbootin is usually used to create a bootable usb stick that you can use to boot live mode of ubuntu and install to a computer. Like a replacement of live cd, instead of a cd you are using usb stick.

But if you plan to have a full installation on the stick and use it like that, usually you would install ubuntu with the stick as destination. Is that what you did? The procedure is the same as installing on hdd but the destination is a usb stick.

ajgreeny
May 14th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Gparted would do it, but not from your installed system.

You will need to do it from a live CD version, or if you are using a netbook with no CD drive, from another usb live version while the current external OS drive is still plugged in.

shakeeb
May 14th, 2010, 03:18 PM
What are you trying to achieve? unetbootin is usually used to create a bootable usb stick that you can use to boot live mode of ubuntu and install to a computer. Like a replacement of live cd, instead of a cd you are using usb stick.

But if you plan to have a full installation on the stick and use it like that, usually you would install ubuntu with the stick as destination. Is that what you did? The procedure is the same as installing on hdd but the destination is a usb stick.
No, that's not what I did . I guess I will have to do that.

Thanks for the help

darkod
May 14th, 2010, 03:29 PM
No, that's not what I did . I guess I will have to do that.

Thanks for the help

During the partitioning step take note of your stick device name, for example /dev/sdf, and in the last screen in the installer before clicking Install, click on Advanced and select grub2 to be installed on the same device, /dev/sdf for example. Not on a partition (there should be no number).

If you don't do that grub2 might go to the internal hdd on the computer where you will be performing this, and once the usb stick is unplugged, that computer will not have a bootloader to boot. This is VERY IMPORTANT!

wilee-nilee
May 14th, 2010, 03:36 PM
during the partitioning step take note of your stick device name, for example /dev/sdf, and in the last screen in the installer before clicking install, click on advanced and select grub2 to be installed on the same device, /dev/sdf for example. Not on a partition (there should be no number).

If you don't do that grub2 might go to the internal hdd on the computer where you will be performing this, and once the usb stick is unplugged, that computer will not have a bootloader to boot. This is very important!

+1