PDA

View Full Version : For loop condition evaluted each time?

pokebirdd
May 14th, 2010, 01:49 PM
Suppose I had a simple for loop:

for(ii = 0; ii < strlen(s); ii++)Will the strlen(s) function inside be reevaluated with each pass of the loop or will the compiler some how magically optimize it away?

If it is reevaluated each time, it would be better to write

n = strlen(s);
for(ii = 0; ii < n; ii++)wouldn't it?

simeon87
May 14th, 2010, 01:55 PM
This is PHP right? I don't know how PHP handles this but it depends on the compiler or interpreter. Unless it's a really expensive function to compute, you probably won't notice it anyway so this is premature optimization. The first code fragment is what you meant to write so write that instead, no need to introduce a new variable.

Milliways
May 14th, 2010, 02:00 PM

for(ii = 0; ii < strlen(s); ii++)Will the strlen(s) function inside be reevaluated with each pass of the loop or will the compiler some how magically optimize it away?

n = strlen(s);

It will be evaluated at the end of each loop.
If s is not changed in the loop it is poor programming practice, not to mention inefficient.

I assume you are iterating through the string for some reason.
It is more usual to use a pointer, and iterate until it reaches the null byte terminator.

pokebirdd
May 14th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I actually just copied that code from a site illustrating a basic hash function and wondered if it was really inefficient (it's in C by the way).

So the best way would be to simply:

for (ii = 0; s[ii] != '\0'; ii++)Is this correct?

EDIT:
Here's the program I was working on while using the code for the hash table. It just reads a file and stores each line in a hash table then prompts the user for a key and retrieves the corresponding entry in the table. I haven't really worked out how to deal with collisions yet though so if someone could point me in the right direction, that'd be great :)

#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#define HASHELEMENTS 100
#define MAXLINES 100
#define MAXCHAR 1000

unsigned int hash (char *s) {
int ii;
unsigned int n = 0;

for (ii = 0; s[ii] != '\0'; ii++)
n += s[ii]*(HASHELEMENTS-1);

return n % HASHELEMENTS;
}

int main(int argc, char *argv[]){
if (argc != 2){
printf("Usage: %s [FILE]\n", argv[0]);
return 1;
}
FILE *fp = fopen(argv[1], "r");
int ii, c;
char *lines[MAXLINES];
char buf[MAXCHAR];
char *hash_table[HASHELEMENTS] = {0}; //all entries set to NULL
int n;

/* read file into lines */
for (ii = 0; ii < MAXLINES; ii++){
//fgets keeps the '\n'
if (fgets(buf, MAXCHAR, fp) == NULL)
break; //end of file
lines[ii] = malloc(strlen(buf)+1);
strncpy(lines[ii], buf, strlen(buf));
hash_table[hash(lines[ii])] = lines[ii];
}
/* n contains number of lines read */
n = ii;

printf("Enter a key:\n");
fgets(buf, MAXCHAR, stdin);
if (hash_table[hash(buf)] != NULL)
printf("The corresponding entry for %s is %sThe hash number is %d\n", buf, hash_table[hash(buf)], hash(buf));
else
printf("No such entry exists for key %s\n", buf);

return 0;
}

simeon87
May 14th, 2010, 02:24 PM
Ah, yeah.. my mind linked strlen and PHP but in PHP, you'd have $ before variables too.

That would work. But it's actually the same as a while loop.

roccivic
May 14th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Here's some benchmark using a 300,000 character long string. You be the judge.

Code:

int ii, foo = 0;
for(ii = 0; ii < strlen(bar); ii++) {
foo++;
}
Result:

roccivic@roccivic-pc:~/Desktop$ gcc t1.c
roccivic@roccivic-pc:~/Desktop$ time ./a.out

real 0m5.029s
user 0m5.030s
sys 0m0.000s

Code:

int ii, foo = 0;
int n = strlen(bar);
for(ii = 0; ii < n; ii++) {
foo++;
}
Result:

roccivic@roccivic-pc:~/Desktop$ gcc t2.c

real 0m0.002s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.000s

Code:

int ii, foo = 0;
for(ii = 0; bar[ii] != '\0'; ii++) {
foo++;
}
Result:

roccivic@roccivic-pc:~/Desktop$ gcc t3.c

real 0m0.002s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.000s

Milliways
May 14th, 2010, 02:39 PM
This would work but most c programmers would do something like:-
unsigned int hash (char *s)
{
unsigned int n = 0;

for(; *s; s++)
n += *s * (HASHELEMENTS-1);

return n % HASHELEMENTS;
}

Although most would probably simplify this to
for(; *s; )
n += *s++ * (HASHELEMENTS-1);

or to be clearer use a while loop.

pokebirdd
May 14th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Here's some benchmark using a 300,000 character long string. You be the judge.

Wow, that's really interesting. But what I don't understand is that if gcc detects that s isn't changing during the loop, why doesn't it just store the value of strlen in a temporary variable anyways in order to speed things up?

This would work but most c programmers would do something like:-

That looks much simpler :) Although if I wanted to do stuff with s after the loop, I would have to store a pointer to the beginning of s I suppose.

Some Penguin
May 14th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Wow, that's really interesting. But what I don't understand is that if gcc detects that s isn't changing during the loop, why doesn't it just store the value of strlen in a temporary variable anyways in order to speed things up?

It would be entirely legal for another thread in the same process space to be writing over the character array, for instance -- or even another process, if the pointer points to shared memory such as might be used by a device driver. There are few guarantees in C.

MadCow108
May 14th, 2010, 03:05 PM
not only another thread, it is also legal to manipulate the string inside the loop body, thus changing the length in every iteration.
As C has pointers it is very very hard for the compiler to see if this happens. So it almost always chooses the pessimistic approach.

In non pointer oriented languages, like fortran, this is often much easier. That why you very often see fortran used in high performance computing because the compiler can do so many more optimizations.

soltanis
May 14th, 2010, 06:57 PM
The compiler can only optimize what it sees at compile-time. It can't possible know if the length of your string is changing which is why it will happily repeat the strlen function for every iteration of the loop. Bear in mind that strlen itself is a loop which iterates through the entire string to find the null terminating character, which is why you notice that when you simply iterate until you reach the null terminator it is way faster.

Languages like Haskell, where there is a very strict separation of functions (things whose outputs don't change) with monads (things which cause side-effects and are unpredictable), you will see massive performance improvements stemming from the compiler being able to perform beastly optimizations.

lisati
May 14th, 2010, 07:05 PM
My $.02: Sometimes it's a matter of efficiency versus clarity of the code: having the strlen() function in the for statement tells me more about when the loop is meant to finish (and with less mental strain on my part) than having it separately.

edit: Yes, I agree, having strlen() outside the loop can result in more efficient code, as long as you can be sure that the result isn't going to change. I'd also suggest choose a variable name to make it clearer what the variable's for, e.g. StringLength=strlen(...) instead of s=strlen(...)

StephenF
May 14th, 2010, 10:07 PM
Because strlen is not part of the C programming language. It is an external function. How many of these do you think the optimizer should know about? Also, there are no strings in C. Variable s is effectively just an address of a block of memory of indeterminate size.

MadCow108
May 14th, 2010, 10:16 PM
of course strlen is part of the C programming language (C standard library to be exact).
As such it also carries as much information as supported by the compiler in the definition:
e.g. the glibc definition:
extern size_t strlen (__const char *__s)
__THROW __attribute_pure__ __nonnull ((1));

so the compiler knows its pure and it takes no NULL arguments. There is not more to know.
But that does not mean it that helps by these kind of decisions because of already mentioned difficulties.

lostinxlation
May 14th, 2010, 10:30 PM
It's very easy for the compiler to analyze the context and figure out strlen isn't being modified in the loop, and the compiler can optimize it to evaluate strlen only once before the loop.
It depends on the compiler, but the compiler guys want to squeeze out the last bit of the performance, and I'm sure they don't want to evaluate the same thing over and over.

StephenF
May 15th, 2010, 01:02 AM
So the compiler knows it's pure and it takes no NULL arguments.
Let's suppose there is more than one thread and the string is writeable during part of the body of the loop due to mutex unlocking.

MadCow108
May 15th, 2010, 02:44 AM
Let's suppose there is more than one thread and the string is writeable during part of the body of the loop due to mutex unlocking.

there are much simpler single threaded situations where the compiler cannot do anything.
e.g.

void f(int * a char *s) {
for (int i =0; i < strlen(s); i++)
*(a+i)++;
}

what is the compiler supposed to do?
it can't remove the strlen from the loop because a could alias s! This would mean the string gets modified by the loop.
It is near impossible for the compiler to resolve such situations, it often requires very expensive global interprocedual analysis. And even that can fail.

of course this situation could be theoretically resolved by use of restrict, but the implementation of that in gcc is not very reliable.

C although very powerful (however you like to define that ;) ) thanks to its pointers is also strongly limited in its performance unless used by an experienced coder.
In languages without pointers you can write extremely fast programs without much knowledge of the underlying architecture. You leave all that to compilers. You can't do that in C.

Cracauer
May 15th, 2010, 03:09 AM

n = strlen(s);

Yes, the former is a very serious and quite common performance bug (in C).

While a C++ or C99 compiler is free to assume that it knows what strlen(3) does it would also have to proof that the string isn't manipulated. That would be very difficult to do if the loop body calls functions or follows pointers in any way.