PDA

View Full Version : Lubuntu gaining traction

ukripper
May 14th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Nice to see LUBUNTU at 7 on distrowatch's past 30 days watchlist. http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=4

Shakz
May 14th, 2010, 02:25 PM
Nice to see LUBUNTU at 7 on distrowatch's past 30 days watchlist. http://distrowatch.com/index.php?dataspan=4

I agree. I only just started using it. I had ubuntu netbook on my asus eee 900 and it was a bit heavy when playing videos. Lubuntu runs like a dream though.

bigsmitty64
May 14th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Agreed, I just started dual booting it with Ubuntu 10.04 a couple days ago, I really like it! Seems real quick, easy to navigate around and pretty much everything worked out of the box! And it's default theme is easy on the eyes.

chessnerd
May 14th, 2010, 08:22 PM
I'm glad that things are working well, but Lubuntu seemed a bit unstable after I installed it. Also, I didn't care for the default application set. When I switched from lubuntu-desktop to LXDE, the LXDE menu gave me trouble and I couldn't configure some things like in Jaunty.

I ended up switching to back Xfce (not xubuntu-desktop, just Xfce) for the first time since last summer and have been using that since. It's working really well and uses only a bit more RAM. I don't know what the Xubuntu team does to bloat it up, but they need to quit it.

LXDE and Lubuntu show a lot of promise. I hope that, by 11.04, the distro is official and is good enough that I can use it regularly.

ukripper
May 17th, 2010, 01:31 PM
LXDE and Lubuntu show a lot of promise. I hope that, by 11.04, the distro is official and is good enough that I can use it regularly.

LUBUNTU deserves recognition. I think it will become official soon. Many people still run old systems and LUBUNTU seems to be the perfect choice if you are already familiar with ubuntu...

ubunterooster
May 17th, 2010, 02:02 PM
It's not just for old pc's. I have a fast, new pc and still prefer the two main lighter brothers of Ubuntu.

fenrir2012
May 17th, 2010, 04:38 PM
hey Iīve been reading about lubuntu and am still to try it but it seems as a great OS, I believe that it ubunut must add this to the family since itīs a derivative of the OS using the LXDE desktop you should discuss about this. try it and you will see that it is a great alternative for old computers like mine that do not have have a slow processor or do not have much ram.

ubunterooster
May 17th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I'm wavering between it and a minimal install of Xfce. They use similar resources. I use both frequently.

WinterRain
May 17th, 2010, 07:13 PM
I believe that it ubunut must add this to the family since itīs a derivative of the OS using the LXDE desktop you should discuss about this.

It is going to be an official member of the *buntu family starting with 10.10
:guitar::guitar:

Radicc
May 17th, 2010, 08:11 PM
I just replaced my 9.04 Crunchbang with Lubuntu because I wanted to put my poor old laptop onto an LTS release. So far it is working out great. I would love to see this go official.

MooPi
May 17th, 2010, 09:03 PM
The package is nice (LXDE) and a good start for the folks that don't know what they want or like the whole package install.But if all of you out there really want a fast lean system, then a simple Openbox system is the route to go. I'm an Openbox nut and find regular DE confining and sluggish. I use the command line install and build from there. I only add what I require and nothing extraneous. I've used it on everything from an Atom ITX to an AMD 620 Propus Quad with great success.Speed speed speed I like to go fast.

Phrea
May 17th, 2010, 09:10 PM
The only 'problem' I have with it is the name... It sounds and looks so lame, just like Kubuntu.
L-Ubuntu and K-Ubuntu would be so much nicer.
Xubuntu is alright, but X-Ubuntu sounds and looks very nice too.

What am I babbling about, I should just take it as it is, download Lubuntu and try it as a live cd later tonight ! Yep, sounds like a good plan !

Please disregard me and continue with actual useful posts.

Dayofswords
May 17th, 2010, 09:15 PM
The only 'problem' I have with it is the name... It sounds and looks so lame, just like Kubuntu.
L-Ubuntu and K-Ubuntu would be so much nicer.
Xubuntu is alright, but X-Ubuntu sounds and looks very nice too.

What am I babbling about, I should just take it as it is, download Lubuntu and try it as a live cd later tonight ! Yep, sounds like a good plan !

Please disregard me and continue with actual useful posts.

heres the torrent
http://people.ubuntu.com/%7Egilir/lubuntu-10.04.iso.torrent

ubunterooster
May 17th, 2010, 09:15 PM
i'M USING kNOPPIX CURRENTLY (UBUNTU COMBUSTED) it looks better than Ubuntu's Lxde by far

Phrea
May 17th, 2010, 09:22 PM
heres the torrent

Thanks.

Phrea
May 17th, 2010, 09:27 PM
heres the torrent

Some really enthusiastic seeders for Lubuntu out there, I think it took 2 to 3 minutes to download the whole thing.

ukripper
May 19th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Some really enthusiastic seeders for Lubuntu out there, I think it took 2 to 3 minutes to download the whole thing.

Damn, now that was fast!