PDA

View Full Version : Already Switch To Linux But Old Habit Still Stays

Khakilang
May 14th, 2010, 09:57 AM
I have use Ubuntu since last year and completely switch only recently. But it seem that my old habit still lingering around like I always check for virus update but now I check the Update Manager. Scan for virus, check my hard disk by using disk utility.

Sometime I even wonder why I doing this. Knowing very well that I don't have to do this but I do it without realising it. I hope the habits will eventually go away. Does anyone have any habits from Windows?
:guitar:

ronnielsen1
May 14th, 2010, 10:00 AM
No, been away too long.

Drenriza
May 14th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Not really. Used ubuntu since Juli 2009, but have never really liked windows. So "old habits" died instaltly.

I still use windows. But only because i havnt figured a way to switch my "windows programs" over to ubuntu, yet. Something i believe i will have done here by 19-05-2010.

And then windows goes 110% to the trash.

Then i just need to get the GF to use it aswell ,) so i dont need to fix her virus problems from facebook.

3rdalbum
May 14th, 2010, 11:15 AM
I have use Ubuntu since last year and completely switch only recently. But it seem that my old habit still lingering around like I always check for virus update but now I check the Update Manager.

Checking the Update Manager is a good habit to get into.

Scan for virus, check my hard disk by using disk utility.

I believe, as soon as SMART reports an unsolvable problem on your disk, you'll get a notification about it regardless of whether Disk Utility is open.

Does anyone have any habits from Windows?

I never used Windows for long enough to get any habits in the first place. I have kept one habit from the Mac, which is using drag 'n' drop in Open/Save dialogs, into programs and onto the terminal. Drag 'n' drop saves time so it's a good habit to get into, but you can't drag 'n' drop remote files on Gnome, and sometimes you can't drag 'n' drop between Gnome and KDE apps.

sdowney717
May 14th, 2010, 12:22 PM
for me linux was so totally different that my old ideas stayed with windows.

One new habit is I get a lot more interest in installing the beta OS releases and even sometimes install other linux os on the drive or run them virtualized. With windows this never would have happened and I would have mostly just stuck with whatever OS was originally on there.

Shakz
May 14th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Actually gained NEW habits on windows from using ubuntu. On my ******* machine at work I have NOTHING on my desktop anymore. I launch everthing from quicklaunch bar, and I have tossed the start menu up on the left side of the first monitor. I wish I could use ubuntu here. I know it isnt exactly on topic but I only recently noticed I never use desktop shortcuts anymore. That used to be a major thing for me....many many desktop files.

I reckon I have evolved.

HermanAB
May 14th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Hmm, relax and enjoy your nice, new, secure system dude...

I have once run a Linux web and mail server for 4 years, with no updates and no maintenance. Eventually, the PSU failed.

newbie2
May 14th, 2010, 03:43 PM
.....so I am going to transfer her documents to my MMS (multiboot mini-server) with a fresh installation of Ubuntu Lucid, show her how to use Firefox, Thunderbird and OpenOffice, and let her get along that way for a while.

The stated goal is that this is a "temporary solution", so that she can continue to do what is absolutely necessary while she takes the time to decide what she needs for a new computer, then buys and configures it. My personal goal is that she will realize that she doesn't have to put up with the Windows garbage for what she needs to do, and in the end we will set her up permanently with a Linux system.
http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/the-open-source-revolution-10014902/frustrations-of-supporting-windows-10015710/
:cool: