PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installing Rhythmbox Plugins!?!

randolf_ambrose
May 14th, 2010, 09:52 AM
hi...

recently i moved from Songbird to Rhythmbox...

i'm having trouble installing additional plugins for rhythmbox...

i cant find this directory, says it doesnt exist ~/.gnome2/rhythmbox/plugins

instead i found /tmp/context/usr/lib/rhythmbox/plugins and copied the files in a tar file in that folder... but its not working... i dont see that plugin in Edit->Plugins...

what shall i do... i'm on lucid...

i was following this page http://code.google.com/p/albumartsearch/

randolf_ambrose
May 14th, 2010, 09:58 AM
i found this directory /usr/lib/rhythmbox/plugins permission denied...

do i really have to log in as root to do this or is there any other simple way???

dearingj
May 14th, 2010, 10:04 AM
hi...
i cant find this directory, says it doesnt exist ~/.gnome2/rhythmbox/plugins
[/url]

That is the directory you want; you'll have to create it yourself. Open up your home folder, enable "Show hidden files" on the view menu (the dot in .gnome2 makes it a hidden folder), navigate to .gnome2/rhythmbox (creating the rhythmbox folder if necessary), and create the plugins folder.

GSF1200S
May 14th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Wow, cool plugin.. never even seen it before. Installed ;)

Heres what you do. Download the package to /home. Open with your archive manager and extract the folder to /home. Then open nautilus as root:

gksu nautilus /usr/lib/rhythmbox/plugins

Open another instance of Nautilus (or use split view) and copy the folder you extracted from the tarball. Then go to the root instance of nautilus and right click>paste. After done, close and reopen rhythmbox. For some reason, everytime I add a plugin, Rhythmbox never works the first time, so I have to close it and reopen again.

Plugin is working for me..

**EDIT** Make sure you go to Edit>Plugins and enable the "Album Art Search Panel" checkbox in order to use.

ajgreeny
May 14th, 2010, 10:12 AM
You will have to make the /home/username/.gnome2/rhythmbox/plugins directory yourself if it is not already there and then it all should work OK.

randolf_ambrose
May 14th, 2010, 10:17 AM
oh... lemme try making that directory then!!! brb!!

randolf_ambrose
May 14th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Wow, cool plugin.. never even seen it before. Installed ;)

Heres what you do. Download the package to /home. Open with your archive manager and extract the folder to /home. Then open nautilus as root:

gksu nautilus /usr/lib/rhythmbox/plugins

Open another instance of Nautilus (or use split view) and copy the folder you extracted from the tarball. Then go to the root instance of nautilus and right click>paste. After done, close and reopen rhythmbox. For some reason, everytime I add a plugin, Rhythmbox never works the first time, so I have to close it and reopen again.

Plugin is working for me..

**EDIT** Make sure you go to Edit>Plugins and enable the "Album Art Search Panel" checkbox in order to use.

worked!!! :)

like you said, i also had to restart rhthmbox... but thats fine...

now its working!!! thanks!!!

and take a look at this... http://live.gnome.org/RhythmboxPlugins/ThirdParty

randolf_ambrose
May 14th, 2010, 10:23 AM
@dearingj
@ajgreeny

i tried to find/make the .gnome2 directory... it wasnt there and couldnt make it(permissions)... before entering as root, i tried the other way and it worked!!!

thanks for the help... :)

ottabaub
June 1st, 2010, 02:49 PM
I'm running Ubuntu 10.04. I had no trouble getting the Repeat One Song plugin to work for me. Here's what to do step-by-step:

Click Places-->Home Folder. Opens Home Folder in Nautilus.
Ctrl-h to view hidden stuff.
Double-click the .gnome2 folder to open it.
Right-click in list pane.
Select Create Folder from pop-up menu.
Name folder rhythmbox.
Open rhythmbox.
Double-click on new folder and, similarly to previous steps, create folder plugins.
Close Nautilus.
Run rhythmbox. If it loads as a little icon in Panel, left-click the icon and select Show Rhythmbox.
Click Edit-->Plugins.
Scroll down the plugin list until you get to Repeat One Song.
Click on the Enabled checkbox to select it.
Click the Close button.

That should do it for ya. :KS

randolf_ambrose
December 14th, 2010, 05:45 PM
COOLEST RHYTHMBOS PLUGIN EVER!!!

FULLSCREENVIEW

http://code.google.com/p/rhythmbox-fullscreen-plugin/