PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Recently installed with alternate installer but freezing persists

Cosmic Charlie
May 14th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Hi, I recently managed to install ubuntu dual booting with windows xp on my computer. I failed to install it many times because the computer would lock up every time I entered my language and region, this is right before installation. After reading around I suspected it may be due to my video card nvidia 6800gt, so I used the alternate installer to repartition the drive, install grub bootloader, and ubuntu.

Now after installing the OS successfully, I can log in, but the screen locks up like before, also my optical mouse light and keyboard lights die too, regardless of USB or PS/2 connection. I used the recovery boot option at boot time and entered low graphics but it locked up as well. Here are my system specs and the exact installer im using:

Installer: ubuntu-10.04-alternate-i386
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Motherboard: Albatron K8T800
Ram: 1 gig Corsair ram(2 x 512)
Video: Nvidia Geforce 6800gt

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: I was able to log in using low-graphics mode (with the just for one session option) and I was able to activate a nvidia driver, the recomended one, through system-->administrator-->hardware drivers. I also did whatever ubuntu updates were available. After rebooting into regular ubuntu, the screen, mouse, and keyboard lock up after a minute or so..