PDA

View Full Version : newbie is lost

ronlayt
May 14th, 2010, 05:00 AM
I loaded 10.04 for netbook and everything is great! I really like ubuntu. Now, how do I load code? Is it after hitting F2 and then getting into GRUB? The reason I ask is this. My machine is an Aspire one D250 1151 netbook and when I power up I getthe message that B43 kernal is not present and for this reason, I believe, there is no wireless connect to my AT&T 2WIRE DSL box. I completely cleaned the machine of the Microsoft OS XP, it worked fine as far as connectingto the net. Now I have net only with hardwire. Also how much memory does 10.04 take up and how do I check my memory and tell which is which. Thanks all for your patience and help with this probably simple problem.

BTW I used a usb stick to load the netbook. The ubuntu program was downloaded as the CD and I put this on the stick and loaded the machine.

Ozymandias_117
May 14th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Open a terminal and type
jockey-gtk See if there is something there for your wireless card.

kerry_s
May 14th, 2010, 05:10 AM
wireless plug it in(hardwire)
click system-> hardware drivers

memory= system-> system monitor
(i think, i'm running a custom install, so i have different)

ronlayt
May 14th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Please pardon my extreme ubuntu ignorance- how do I open a terminal? Thank you for your help! Much appreciated. I have been a Microsoft user for years and this is a whole new ball of wax.

Ozymandias_117
May 14th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Or you can do it kerry_s way :) I wasn't sure exactly how the netbook edition looked, so I figured terminal would be simpler. Guess not :D

Sealbhach
May 14th, 2010, 05:31 AM
Please pardon my extreme ubuntu ignorance- how do I open a terminal? Thank you for your help! Much appreciated. I have been a Microsoft user for years and this is a whole new ball of wax.

From the menu, choose

Applications/Accessories/Terminal

EDIT: I guess it's different in the Netbook Remix.

ronlayt
May 14th, 2010, 05:52 AM
All is well and the netbook is on line. The kerry_s fix worked like a charm. Thank you so much everyone!

ronlayt
May 15th, 2010, 03:58 AM
problem solved

kerry_s
May 15th, 2010, 04:09 AM
a little tip, right click the wifi icon-> edit connections
select your wifi & click edit
check the box "available to all users"

this will bring up the connection during boot instead of waiting till you log in or get to the desktop.