PDA

View Full Version : Honey Bee

c00lwaterz
May 14th, 2010, 04:32 AM
Hello,

I'm here to get information about honey.
I hope my ubuntu mate can help.

I am looking for Honey to help me boost my immune system and help me to prevent my asthma and allergy.

Here in our city, I don't see any local honey (non-commercial), Instead I only see some commercial in supermarket. I saw Aunt Sue's Honey and Sue Bee Honey, I also found some local but it is commercial and it is from province of our country.

If I will buy commercial honey, which brand can you suggest and I want to compare the Aunt Sue's Honey and Sue Bee Honey (because this are available in our supermarket).

Thank you very much!
All opinions and suggestions are highly appreciated.

:)

Frogs Hair
May 14th, 2010, 05:01 AM
We have a year round farmers market , so it's possible to get honey from small producers. Google organic honey and you will find a lot of choices.

wojox
May 14th, 2010, 05:03 AM
I don't know what it's called. It comes in that big plastic bear jar. Honey Rocks.

chillicampari
May 14th, 2010, 05:17 AM
We have a year round farmers market , so it's possible to get honey from small producers. Google organic honey and you will find a lot of choices.

+1 on the farmers market.

c00lwaterz, I don't know if it works, but some of my friends swear by local honey. If you try the internet see if you can find the place where the honey is cultivated closest to your location since it should have the same local pollen you want to build a tolerance to. A lot of the grocery store honey is blended from multiple hives and locations.

I also found some local but it is commercial and it is from province of our country.

That might be your best bet if it's nearby.

Lux Perpetua
May 14th, 2010, 05:39 AM
The type of flower makes a huge difference. I'm partial to blackberry flower honey, but it's not very easy to find. These guys do sell it, though: http://katzandco.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25

c00lwaterz
May 14th, 2010, 05:50 AM

Thanks, I will google about it. :)

c00lwaterz
May 14th, 2010, 05:54 AM
+1 on the farmers market.

c00lwaterz, I don't know if it works, but some of my friends swear by local honey. If you try the internet see if you can find the place where the honey is cultivated closest to your location since it should have the same local pollen you want to build a tolerance to. A lot of the grocery store honey is blended from multiple hives and locations.

That might be your best bet if it's nearby.

Yes, I bought just now the local one (commercial but manufactured in our country). Is it the same the one they called local from local market?

If my asthma trigger, I will try the one I bought earlier. I am from metro manila Philippines and the product I have bought is from palawan Philippines but it is commercial

Thanks a lot:)

c00lwaterz
May 14th, 2010, 05:56 AM
The type of flower makes a huge difference. I'm partial to blackberry flower honey, but it's not very easy to find. These guys do sell it, though: http://katzandco.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=25

Thanks for the information but I don't see this brand in our supermarket. I will just take note of it if I can find similar to this.

Thanks again :)

chillicampari
May 14th, 2010, 07:23 AM
Yes, I bought just now the local one (commercial but manufactured in our country). Is it the same the one they called local from local market?

If my asthma trigger, I will try the one I bought earlier. I am from metro manila Philippines and the product I have bought is from palawan Philippines but it is commercial

Thanks a lot:)

You're welcome :)

If the honey manufacturer is the closest one to you and the area has similar plants, that should be pretty local. But if there's a weekend street market or farmers market in Manila that could be even closer.

Actually- is there a natural or health food store by you? They are usually pretty good at finding out these things and may have the best honey in stock.

Also (disclaimer here), if you're taking medication for asthma I don't think honey is meant to be a replacement at all, and honey is meant to be taken daily to gradually build up your systems to help prevent allergy attacks. I don't know it will stop one in progress.

c00lwaterz
May 14th, 2010, 07:47 AM
You're welcome :)

If the honey manufacturer is the closest one to you and the area has similar plants, that should be pretty local. But if there's a weekend street market or farmers market in Manilla that could be even closer.

Actually- is there a natural or health food store by you? They are usually pretty good at finding out these things and may have the best honey in stock.

Also (disclaimer here), if you're taking medication for asthma I don't think honey is meant to be a replacement at all, and honey is meant to be taken daily to gradually build up your systems to help prevent allergy attacks. I don't know it will stop one in progress.

Thanks, I will ask about farmers market in manila. Since before I don't have difficulty in breathing at night. Just now (2 weeks from now) have started the difficulty in breathing at night. I suspect it came from stress, environment and other causes. My allergy started since I was college, this allergy is spot (tiny) sometimes lines and it will disappear after awhile then transfer to another area. In my guess it is skin asthma but my aunty (pedia doctor) told me it is asthma. She prescribe some medicine but it doesn't help. I saw in the internet the coffee (caffeine), honey, and tea helps. I have tried last night the coffee without any creamer or sugar and it helps me breathe properly.

Right now, I want to improve my immune system, and prevent asthma attack or difficulty in breathing. My classmate (he has asthma) told me swimming can help prevent asthma and also strengthen lungs ( I will also try this). My body built is average and sometime before I go to gym. Right now, I want to change it to sports like swimming and tennis. I hope this exercise can help me.

About Honey, I will try this at home later if it works and prevent asthma attack.

I will mix the honey (replacement for sugar) and coffee to help my immune system and help me breathe properly

Thanks for the advises and I will appreciate all other information that will be post here regarding honey as immune system booster.

Thanks again

alexfish
May 14th, 2010, 01:07 PM
hi

if certain honeys have any special benefits , buy it on the comb , this way you may notice by the taste which flower or flowers it came from and possibly the location , also you know there are no other blended honeys , unless the producer is very clever.

c00lwaterz
May 14th, 2010, 02:50 PM
hi

if certain honeys have any special benefits , buy it on the comb , this way you may notice by the taste which flower or flowers it came from and possibly the location , also you know there are no other blended honeys , unless the producer is very clever.

Hi, what do you mean by "no other blended honeys"? do you mean not pure honey?

thanks

KegHead
May 14th, 2010, 03:01 PM
um

honey

cascade9
May 14th, 2010, 03:05 PM
I NEVER buy 'commercial' honey. I cant be sure about the Philipines, but here (and most other western countries as far as I know) commercial honey tends to be made by giving bees sugar to convert to honey...not the natural way using nectar from flowers.

I am pretty certain that if you are using honey for medical reasons, commercial honey will not be anywhere near as good for you.

BTW, as far as I know the some of the best honey for medical reasons is manuka honey (from new zealand). Probably a bit expensive, but its good stuff. Just as an aside, manuka is 'tea tree'- a native plant of australia and new zealand, and tea tree has very stong antibacterial and antifungal properties. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospermum_scoparium

Thanks, I will ask about farmers market in manila. Since before I don't have difficulty in breathing at night. Just now (2 weeks from now) have started the difficulty in breathing at night. I suspect it came from stress, environment and other causes. My allergy started since I was college, this allergy is spot (tiny) sometimes lines and it will disappear after awhile then transfer to another area. In my guess it is skin asthma but my aunty (pedia doctor) told me it is asthma. She prescribe some medicine but it doesn't help. I saw in the internet the coffee (caffeine), honey, and tea helps. I have tried last night the coffee without any creamer or sugar and it helps me breathe properly.

Right now, I want to improve my immune system, and prevent asthma attack or difficulty in breathing. My classmate (he has asthma) told me swimming can help prevent asthma and also strengthen lungs ( I will also try this). My body built is average and sometime before I go to gym. Right now, I want to change it to sports like swimming and tennis. I hope this exercise can help me.

Exercise will help a lot with asthama and alergies. One other thign that might be worth looking at is a negavite ion generator. Very effective at removing junk from the air, which could be part of why you have got problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_ioniser

Good luck ;)

c00lwaterz
May 16th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I NEVER buy 'commercial' honey. I cant be sure about the Philipines, but here (and most other western countries as far as I know) commercial honey tends to be made by giving bees sugar to convert to honey...not the natural way using nectar from flowers.

I am pretty certain that if you are using honey for medical reasons, commercial honey will not be anywhere near as good for you.

BTW, as far as I know the some of the best honey for medical reasons is manuka honey (from new zealand). Probably a bit expensive, but its good stuff. Just as an aside, manuka is 'tea tree'- a native plant of australia and new zealand, and tea tree has very stong antibacterial and antifungal properties. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leptospermum_scoparium

Exercise will help a lot with asthama and alergies. One other thign that might be worth looking at is a negavite ion generator. Very effective at removing junk from the air, which could be part of why you have got problems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_ioniser

Good luck ;)

Most people told me that in supermarket the honey is not real. it has some sugar or not pure honey they experience. Why factory do that? how can I get and have assurance of the real honey?

thanks for the info

Elfy
May 16th, 2010, 07:40 AM
... how can I get and have assurance of the real honey?

thanks for the info

Find someone who has beehives - I would guess they would sell you honey - that at least is the case here.

Or you could always start one yourself :)

Bees worldwide are in a bit of state I think.

Linuxforall
May 16th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Try to look for organically grown, minimally processed polyflora honey usually from forests. Don't take honey with hot liquid or food, it makes it toxic to an extent and destroys all its benefits.

Khakilang
May 16th, 2010, 09:29 AM
Actually I don't take any honey on a regular basis. But I do take multi vitamins and minerals and vitamin C complex tablet. Take a table each every morning after breakfast. Being doing that for the pass 20 years and it certainly helps. But of course you have to eat a regular healthy meal every day and stay a away from fried and junk food. Consult your doctor if you are allergy to some vitamins or minerals.

The Real Dave
May 16th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I myself suffer form asthma, and allergies, and since switching to local honey, the symptoms are lessened. Definitely not gone, but better than they used be. Really local honey is the only stuff that's of much use.

Go to a local farmer's market, or ask around, there's got to be someone in your area making honey. Mine comes from a place just 10 minutes up the road, by the mountain, so the bees are fed on wild heather and gorse :)

That honey SO SO much better than anything you'll get in the supermarket. That and, honeycomb FTW, that stuff is gorgeous :)

EDIT: There's also plenty of other things you can do to help. I have a serious dust allergy, so I clean alot, replaced carpets and soft furnishings with wooden ones which wouldnt hold dust. My standard of living sky rocketed :)

cascade9
May 16th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Most people told me that in supermarket the honey is not real. it has some sugar or not pure honey they experience. Why factory do that? how can I get and have assurance of the real honey?

thanks for the info

The honey manufacturers like giving the bees sugar to convert to honey because they get higher yeilds (more honey) doing it that way.

As for how to know you are getting 'real' honey, not sugar converted to honey (normally with added water, and sometimes sugarwater) is to either get it from a reliable source, or find a local beekeeper (like forestpiskie suggested) or a famers market (like lots of other people have suggested).

BTW, forestpiskie, your right, bees are in trouble. Very, very worring. :(

Cathhsmom
May 16th, 2010, 02:44 PM
I eat raw honey. It is supposedly more healthy. Who Knows!

solitaire
May 16th, 2010, 03:46 PM
If you suffer from bad hay-fever or asthma then go for local Honey, the local the better (if you know a farm in your area that sells honey stright from the hive then go for them).

Reason: Honey contains minute amounts of pollen which get attacked by your immune system, without triggering a reaction or attack. So over time the body learns to build a response to the pollen so your hayfever / asthma *MAY* be reduced.

But seek medical advice before trying it.

c00lwaterz
May 17th, 2010, 04:41 AM
so I have taken honey for a few days and the effect is good. my allergies are lessen. I don't know if it will lessen the attack of asthma (maybe a little). Now I have tonsil gone bad and painful (maybe too much honey consumed).

c00lwaterz
May 17th, 2010, 04:44 AM
If you suffer from bad hay-fever or asthma then go for local Honey, the local the better (if you know a farm in your area that sells honey stright from the hive then go for them).

Reason: Honey contains minute amounts of pollen which get attacked by your immune system, without triggering a reaction or attack. So over time the body learns to build a response to the pollen so your hayfever / asthma *MAY* be reduced.

But seek medical advice before trying it.

Thanks solitaire, I am thinking of this same as your idea. Thanks again for letting me know about how my body learns to build response to the pollen or allergies by few amounts of pollen so my system can have new ways to defend my body.

Thanks

c00lwaterz
May 17th, 2010, 04:47 AM
Try to look for organically grown, minimally processed polyflora honey usually from forests. Don't take honey with hot liquid or food, it makes it toxic to an extent and destroys all its benefits.

I have added it in my coffee. should I wait to cool down my coffee before mixing it?