PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Lost Sound in Lucid

jnmjr
May 14th, 2010, 02:34 AM
Hey all, just lost sound in Lucid completely, started up the PC and nothing, I haven't done any up-grades or changed anything, can't figure it out, btw...sound works fine in WinXP....Any ideas?

-humanaut-
May 14th, 2010, 02:36 AM
Go to the volume icon and click sound preference's and make sure the correct hardware is selected.

jnmjr
May 14th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Go to the volume icon and click sound preference's and make sure the correct hardware is selected.

Like I stated before, nothing has been changed, thre's just no sound!!!! :confused:

-humanaut-
May 14th, 2010, 02:52 AM
I'd still recommend checking it could be as simple as clicking the right hardware such as ALSA.

jnmjr
May 14th, 2010, 03:01 AM
I'd still recommend checking it could be as simple as clicking the right hardware such as ALSA.

See ATT.

I haven't changed it???

jnmjr
May 14th, 2010, 05:37 AM
I'm bumping this up, need help, don't know how to get this working:confused:

Sealbhach
May 14th, 2010, 07:53 AM
Remove Pulse Audio in Synaptic and see if it fixes it - it usually does.

jnmjr
May 14th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Remove Pulse Audio in Synaptic and see if it fixes it - it usually does.

I removed it but it also removed the sound button from the panel, if I click sounds from preferences it says "waiting for sound system to respond", still don't know what's wrong????

Sealbhach
May 14th, 2010, 06:05 PM
I removed it but it also removed the sound button from the panel, if I click sounds from preferences it says "waiting for sound system to respond", still don't know what's wrong????

OK, better put it back then if it didn't produce any sound.

Another thing to try is install aumix, and play around with the volume settings on that, to make sure everything is turned up.

Also, run

lshw -C sound

to find out what your sound card is, and google to see if any other users are experiencing problems with that sound card, it may be an update has got a bug in it.

jnmjr
May 14th, 2010, 06:54 PM
OK, better put it back then if it didn't produce any sound.

Another thing to try is install aumix, and play around with the volume settings on that, to make sure everything is turned up.

Also, run

lshw -C sound

to find out what your sound card is, and google to see if any other users are experiencing problems with that sound card, it may be an update has got a bug in it.

Ok, googled sound card no issues that I could dig up, all sound settings are on no issue there, the only thing is that when I reinstalled Pulse the volume panel button is not there and I don't know how to put it back???

Sealbhach
May 14th, 2010, 06:58 PM
Ok, googled sound card no issues that I could dig up, all sound settings are on no issue there, the only thing is that when I reinstalled Pulse the volume panel button is not there and I don't know how to put it back???

Add the Indicator Applet to the panel, it should bring it back.

jnmjr
May 14th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Add the Indicator Applet to the panel, it should bring it back.

That was the first thing I tried and only the mail button shows up which I hadn't lost any ways....

jnmjr
May 14th, 2010, 07:31 PM
I got it back by installing the sound indicator package from Synaptic.....I mean the button not the sound????

Black Hawk
May 14th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Have you tried running speaker-test in the terminal? ctrl + c to exit speaker-test.
Have you tried running sudo alsa force-reload ?

jnmjr
May 14th, 2010, 07:44 PM
Have you tried running speaker-test in the terminal? ctrl + c to exit speaker-test.
Have you tried running sudo alsa force-reload ?

Did as you suggested, no sound??? I'm completely miffed by this???? It seems all should be working!!!!!!!!!!!!Sound card is recognized, drivers, Alsa, Pulse, it's all there and should be working :confused:

Black Hawk
May 14th, 2010, 08:34 PM
post the output of

cat /proc/asound/cards

Sealbhach
May 14th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Can you boot into an earlier kernel at the Grub menu?

jnmjr
May 14th, 2010, 09:19 PM
post the output of

cat /proc/asound/cards

jose@My-Desktop:~$ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [CA0106 ]: CA0106 - CA0106
Audigy SE OEM [SB0570a] at 0xe800 irq 16

jnmjr
May 14th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Can you boot into an earlier kernel at the Grub menu?

Yes but makes no difference....

jnmjr
May 15th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Finally a solution to this problem.....

"I figured out why I lost my sound.

Apparently, there's an issue (very likely a bug) that caused my Audigy card to be switched from analog to IEC958 digital output at the level of Alsa. Changing the PulseAudio settings, therefore, had no effect.

The solution was to install the GNOME ALSA Mixer from the software center and select analog source instead of IEC958."

This is a quote I read in the forum, will edit and post name when I find the post again.

This solution had been there for me all along since the time I installed AlsaMixer but I totally overlooked it. Se la Vie.... Thank you all for your posts and help it is greatly appreciated :guitar:

See thread "lucid lynx - no sound"posted by eMJAYY