PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Can't access System>Administration>Time and Date

pbwest
May 14th, 2010, 02:17 AM
Lucid 10.04, auto upgraded from 9.10, accessed through NoMachine NX from my MacBook Pro 10.6 system.

When I try to access the time settings through the System > Administration > Time and Date menu, all I get is the greyed-out display with the message Not authotized to make changes at the bottom.

With other administration functions, I am asked for sudo-style authorization with my password. That doesn't happen with Time and Date.

Why is is so? What can I do about it?

quixote
May 15th, 2010, 05:42 AM
I'm not familiar with NoMachineNX. When you're trying to change time & date, are you in ubuntu, or in a Mac frontend of some kind? If the latter, that's probably why. System time is a very critical thing, and only plain old root (ie sudo) can change it. Sudo coming in from a MacOS would look suspicious to linux, even if some sudo-type functions are allowed.

The way the menu you're talking about should look is it should be grayed out, but have a "click to make changes" button at the bottom.

The command line way to do this is using hwclock. Type "man hwclock" (without quotes) in a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) for info on how to use the command. If the problem is that the menuing interface has somehow lost the right permissions, the command line method will still work.

pbwest
May 15th, 2010, 06:46 AM
NX is an ssh-based VNC-style remote interface. It's great.

When I'm attempting to access the time settings, I'm running a remote window on Ubuntu. See attached screenshot.