PDA

View Full Version : I seem to be addicted to Ubuntu! Help!

TheNerdAL
May 14th, 2010, 02:00 AM
As soon as I come from school I turn on my computer and eat some animal crackers sometimes and just go to the forums. I usually do this like every day!

How do I stop? :P

kerry_s
May 14th, 2010, 02:08 AM
sorry, there's no cure. your doomed! your now a full fledged ubuntu zombie.

GameDog(A)
May 14th, 2010, 02:11 AM

Ubuntu Zombie? I like that.

lisati
May 14th, 2010, 02:16 AM
As soon as I come from school I turn on my computer and eat some animal crackers sometimes and just go to the forums. I usually do this like every day!

How do I stop? :P

I know exactly what you mean. First thing in the morning, fresh coffee in hand, hanging around the forums for a sizable portion of the day, in the hope of actually being able to help someone, when perhaps I should be looking at trying to tidy up my web site or look for Ubuntu-friendly tools to maintain it.

TheNerdAL
May 14th, 2010, 02:18 AM
I know exactly what you mean. First thing in the morning, fresh coffee in hand, hanging around the forums for a sizable portion of the day, in the hope of actually being able to help someone, when perhaps I should be looking at trying to tidy up my web site or look for Ubuntu-friendly tools to maintain it.

I need a cure! Lol.

overdrank
May 14th, 2010, 02:20 AM
I need a cure! Lol.

Step away from the machine. =;

TheNerdAL
May 14th, 2010, 02:22 AM

But I'm talking to a girl on Empathy which is awesome because it gives me popups when she replies! :D

lisati
May 14th, 2010, 02:30 AM
I need a cure! Lol.

I might have to step away! My "cure", disguised as Mrs Lisati, just arrived home after spending some time with friends.

ubunterooster
May 14th, 2010, 02:36 AM
I am on before getting up and end when in bed; it keeps me aliiiive!!! You likely would rather have an addiction to sleeping I assume?

murderslastcrow
May 14th, 2010, 02:40 AM
Lol, every couple weeks or so I binge on Ubuntu info. There's just so much happening with open source it's kinda' hard to ignore. And even then, Ubuntu's amazing as it is. @_@ It's like a never-ending poison!

Hah, next thing you know you'll be developing the next big piece of software due to your obsession! XD Get out while you still can!

ubunterooster
May 14th, 2010, 02:43 AM
Lol, every couple weeks or so I binge on Ubuntu info. There's just so much happening with open source it's kinda' hard to ignore. And even then, Ubuntu's amazing as it is. @_@ It's like a never-ending poison!

Hah, next thing you know you'll be developing the next big piece of software due to your obsession! XD Get out while you still can!
NOOOO!!!! Stay; make the program. I wants it.

2hot6ft2
May 14th, 2010, 03:03 AM
It's simple don't buy any animal crackers. Geeez.
:lolflag:

Frogs Hair
May 14th, 2010, 03:23 AM
When not in class at collage , I'm in the cafe visiting this cafe on old XP computers that lock up when you try to move to the next thread . It gets real scary if you try to add a reply.

themusicalduck
May 14th, 2010, 03:29 AM
But I'm talking to a girl on Empathy which is awesome because it gives me popups when she replies! :D

The innuendo is strong in this post.

Timmer1240
May 14th, 2010, 03:32 AM
Been reading alot on the forum and about Ubuntu in general it is addictive was into windows alot b4 ubuntu seems like I was always having problems with Microcrash Ubuntu just works no problems amazing OS!

murderslastcrow
May 14th, 2010, 05:48 AM
Yeah, Ubuntu has more growth, change, and it's going places. Windows... XP is STAYING places, I guess? A lot of people aren't really up for getting a new computer when they don't need it, and if more people were aware and it were easier for Grannies to get some help putting Ubuntu on their computers, the world would look a bit different, I'm sure.

What I've found myself doing lately, actually, is finding out when a friend has a Windows problem, telling them about Ubuntu, asking what programs they use to see how viable of an alternative it will be for them/what they'll need to run and how, and I either trade their computer for one that's pre-configured to have all their stuff with Ubuntu, or get Ubuntu on their systems, anyway.

And, you would THINK I'd have more people calling me since I personally set it up for them, but I actually have less issues than when my friends just whined about the Windows someone else put on their machines. So, ironically, I don't really lose any time from doing this.

Ubuntu is something that's easy to get excited about from a technical perspective, and a user-experience perspective. If I could find an accessible way to make money from getting Ubuntu into peoples' hands, you can bet I would be holding surveys, sponsoring ads, exchanging old computers and easing the transition for common people.

Over the past two years, it went from something I'd suggest to moderate PC users to something I would suggest for Grannies. We have good reason to be excited! XD But yeah, if you live and breathe it, you should probably either start developing or find an alternative hobby.

Dayofswords
May 14th, 2010, 05:53 AM
It's simple don't buy any animal crackers. Geeez.

are you mad?!

Yeah, Ubuntu has more growth, change, and it's going places. Windows... XP is STAYING places, I guess?

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=10/05/13/1816245

Microsoft Kills Support For XP SP2

"Microsoft's announcement this week that it is preparing to end support for machines running Windows XP SP2 not only represents a challenge for the thousands of businesses still running SP2, but also is the end of an era for both Microsoft and its customers. (http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/end-support-xp-sp2-end-era-051310) It wasn't until 2004 that the final release of XP SP2 hit the streets, but when it did, it represented a huge step forward in security for Windows users. It wasn't necessarily the feature set that mattered as much as the fact that the protections were enabled by default and taken out of the users' hands."

Ebere
May 14th, 2010, 08:06 AM

Do any of those popups ever tell you that 'she' is really a 40 year old fat bald man, sitting there in nothing but a tutu ?

BoneKracker
May 14th, 2010, 08:43 AM
Dude. Now it's not going to give him popups anymore.

ukripper
May 14th, 2010, 08:56 AM
You need a break.....go on holiday visit wales..snowdonia and u'll feel refreshed again.

swoll1980
May 14th, 2010, 09:03 AM
Asking for help is the first sign that you have a problem. The only way you can get past this is to spend more, and more time on here until you realize there is no help for you. Only then will you stop asking for help. Try cutting classes maybe?

Ebere
May 14th, 2010, 09:10 AM
Dude. Now it's not going to give him popups anymore.

Well, we hope not, anyway...

chessnerd
May 14th, 2010, 09:19 AM
As I said in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1268745&page=3) long ago (well, 8 months ago)...

Uh, when I first found it I used it only for help. Then I found the Community Cafe... There goes an hour a day that I will never get back. Unless you disconnect your Internet or block the site from your computer you can't stop yourself.

There's no cure. There's no patch, medicinal or security related, to curb the addiction. The forums will consume you...

Enjoy! :D

EDIT:
It's now more like 3 hours a day. Slowly, hour by hour, the Forums eat away at my soul...

In fact, I hear it will be their new slogan:

Ubuntu Forums: The funnest soul-sucking experience ever.

consindo
May 14th, 2010, 11:14 AM
You're not the only one. I'm addicted too! What should I do??? :)

ubunterooster
May 14th, 2010, 11:19 AM
Asking for help is the first sign that you have a problem. The only way you can get past this is to spend more, and more time on here until you realize there is no help for you. Only then will you stop asking for help. Try cutting classes maybe?
+1

As I said in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1268745&page=3) long ago (well, 8 months ago)...

EDIT:
It's now more like 3 hours a day. Slowly, hour by hour, the Forums eat away at my soul...

In fact, I hear it will be their new slogan:

Ubuntu Forums: The funnest soul-sucking experience ever.
Bwahahahahaha

You're not the only one. I'm addicted too! What should I do??? :)Be happy bout it! :D [drools]

beavis5551
May 14th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Ubuntu is like the 'hotel california'

you can check out any time you like but you can never leave...

mmix
May 14th, 2010, 11:44 AM
ubuntu forums is just another forum.

ubunterooster
May 14th, 2010, 12:54 PM
ubuntu forums is just another forum.
I have 6 forums.....UF is not just "another forum."

Eisenwinter
May 14th, 2010, 01:00 PM
"your doomed"?
"your now a [...]" ?

It's you're.

98cwitr
May 14th, 2010, 01:16 PM
animal crackers?

ubunterooster
May 14th, 2010, 02:09 PM
"your doomed"?
"your now a [...]" ?

It's you're.
So your addicted to fixing word usage? ;)

@OP: Try to reinstall Windows and make it work and act like Linux. Really. I spent a good while doing that. Of course it deeply entrenched my addiction but...does it matter?