PDA

View Full Version : And the good news just keep pouring in...

BuffaloX
May 13th, 2010, 09:48 PM
I think this is the craziest week in Linux / FLOSS ever:

1:
The Hunmble Indie Bundle (http://www.wolfire.com/humble) was a major event for Linux IMO.
With a purchase value of almost 25% Linux far exceeded any market-share estimate, showing that there is a huge untapped market for good Linux Games, the Linux community is starving for good games, and are ready to pay good money.

2:
Allegations that Linux users in general are cheapskates and FLOSS zealots, that don't want to pay for anything, got thoroughly debunked by the fact that Linux users donated 40% more than even the famously generous MAC users and almost twice what Windows users donated.
This shows that in general the Linux market is probably worth more than most have previously estimated.

3:
Ryzom (http://www.ryzom.com/en/) is going open source, offering the whole shebang source, models and textures as GPL.
FSF has announced that this is the most important single event for FLOSS gaming ever.
On top of that the Humble Indie Bundle has announced that 4 of the games in the bundle will now be open-sourced.

4:
Steam officially announced that a Linux client is in development.
This means that they see a market for Linux games, and probably that more Linux games will be available.

BslBryan
May 13th, 2010, 10:21 PM
Not to mention that there are currently 3 lawsuits against Sony for removing the feature from the Playstation 3 gaming console that allows a user to install Linux.

Madspyman
May 13th, 2010, 10:24 PM
And F-spot is being removed from Ubuntu in Maverick.

Dayofswords
May 13th, 2010, 10:27 PM
4:
Steam officially announced that a Linux client is in development.
This means that they see a market for Linux games, and probably that more Linux games will be available.

ok this isnt exactly true, but there is alot saying there is going to be a steam client for linux

madjr
May 13th, 2010, 10:36 PM
dont forget that Android surpassed the iphoneOS in the US

yea krazy week

BuffaloX
May 14th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I don't see the lawsuit against Sony as a victory on the contrary, this only means that next time, companies will think again, before including Linux as an option for their otherwise closed system.

I don't know why the removal of F-spot is so good. It's an important but minor component IMO. Why is it good to replace it?

ok this isnt exactly true, but there is alot saying there is going to be a steam client for linux

According to phoronix it's official:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=valve_steam_announcement&num=1
But I can't see it confirmed anywhere else.

I think these two deserve to be added to the original list:

yea krazy week

Very impressive that "Linux & Co." is able to beat Apple in their home market. :) The rest of the world will probably follow soon.
This is a major victory for open vs closed in general, and a Linux success where Microsoft has failed numerous times.

For the original post I completely forgot:
Phoronix have tested new ATI and NVIDIA drivers, and found that they have comparable performance compared to Windows 7.
This is a breakthrough because Linux drivers have always been blamed for being to slow compared to their Windows counterparts.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_windows_part1&num=11
This shows that Linux is technically a viable platform for games.

matthewbpt
May 14th, 2010, 03:48 AM
I don't know why the removal of F-spot is so good. It's an important but minor component IMO. Why is it good to replace it?

He's referring to the fact that F-Spot uses Mono, the open source implementation of Microsoft's .NET . Many people in the FOSS community see it as dangerous because of it's relationship with the Microsoft product.

Ric_NYC
May 14th, 2010, 03:52 AM
And F-spot is being removed from Ubuntu in Maverick.

Wha-wha-what?

TheNerdAL
May 14th, 2010, 03:54 AM
3:
Ryzom (http://www.ryzom.com/en/) is going open source, offering the whole shebang source, models and textures as GPL.
FSF has announced that this is the most important single event for FLOSS gaming ever.
On top of that the Humble Indie Bundle has announced that 4 of the games in the bundle will now be open-sourced.

Oh snap!!! :D

oldsoundguy
May 14th, 2010, 04:01 AM
and F-Spot is really completely unworkable! MSPaint is even a better concept than F-Spot!
What is needed to replace F-Spot is something in the line of ACDSee in ease of use for the non pro. (or even a Correll contribution would not be out of reason.

BuffaloX
May 14th, 2010, 04:30 AM
He's referring to the fact that F-Spot uses Mono, the open source implementation of Microsoft's .NET . Many people in the FOSS community see it as dangerous because of it's relationship with the Microsoft product.

Thanks that explains it.

and F-Spot is really completely unworkable! MSPaint is even a better concept than F-Spot!
What is needed to replace F-Spot is something in the line of ACDSee in ease of use for the non pro. (or even a Correll contribution would not be out of reason.

I liked the old ACDSee, then they ruined it and Irfanview was better, but something along those lines would be cool. 8)

Sealbhach
May 14th, 2010, 05:17 AM
Apparently Shotwell is to replace F-Spot. Source (http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/05/see-ya-f-spot-shotwell-comes-to-ubuntu.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+d0od+%28Omg%21+Ubuntu%21%29&utm_content=Google+Reader)

Paqman
May 14th, 2010, 05:42 AM

Only for sales in one quarter. Iphone still has a bigger user base. Apparently Android sales were boosted by a buy-one-get-one-free promotion from a Telco. Sounds like a pretty weird promotion, if you ask me. Who buys two cellphones at once?

Warpnow
May 14th, 2010, 06:00 AM
Only for sales in one quarter. Iphone still has a bigger user base. Apparently Android sales were boosted by a buy-one-get-one-free promotion from a Telco. Sounds like a pretty weird promotion, if you ask me. Who buys two cellphones at once?

Its a common sale from what I've seen. I also think it is odd but see ads for such quite often.

murderslastcrow
May 14th, 2010, 06:41 AM
My brother did the buy one get one free deal for a friend. Lots of people do it.

Yeah, this week is big. Things are looking up for Linux, and Ubuntu in particular is getting more and more positive reviews, both from the news, and from general online and real world opinion, so far as I've seen. Seems like everyone wants it full-time, they just have one or two nagging apps keeping them dual-booting.

People like the idea of a software landscape where crapware and viruses are near imaginary, and their computer is fast, capable, and easy to use. And for free? I thought I needed to buy a Mac to get this experience!

Truly, it's never been easier to be a Linux user.

swoll1980
May 14th, 2010, 07:04 AM
I don't see the lawsuit against Sony as a victory on the contrary, this only means that next time, companies will think again, before including Linux as an option for their otherwise closed system.

Including a Linux option didn't hurt Sony, nor would it any other company. The removal of a feature that was part of the system when it was purchased, hurt Sony. The outrage that was created when it was removed, did nothing but prove that it was a popular feature. This was a dumb move on Sony's part. There was no good reason to sabotage perfectly good systems that were purchased in good faith. I think this little bobo they made is going to have huge repercussions. It could even destroy the playstation forever. People that never planned on using the feature will want a refund too, and would have the right to one. This could end up costing Sony $100 for every one of the 30,000,000 units that were sold.

swoll1980
May 14th, 2010, 07:07 AM
Who buys two cellphones at once?

Anyone with a wife/husband, girlfriend/boyfriend, son/daughter, presents for a mother and father. The list goes on and on.

mickie.kext
May 14th, 2010, 07:11 AM
Bye bye F.spook. I won't miss you. This is best news.

Is there another infected app, or this means that mono is gone?

murderslastcrow
May 14th, 2010, 07:40 AM
Tomboy's still in there. I, personally, don't find Mono technically threatening, since people use patent-encumbered codecs all the time and never really whine about it like I used to (I used to push Vorbis stuff like no other!). Even if Microsoft licensed Mono or did something to try to keep it down, I'm sure people would use it anyway, since Microsoft doesn't own it worth $#!)(@#.

Of course, from a philosophical standpoint, I mostly support it as a variety in coding practices, but I can understand the worry surrounding it. I hope Microsoft starts to build a good track record with open source and respecting it now that it's an extremely viable contender.

Unlike Apple, there's not one person you can go to to bully. When you bully one of us, you bully all of us. There's only one way to fight against that- making a better product. I don't think we have much to worry about there. Anyway, wow, not trying to make this into another Mono thread. Jeez.

Anyway, Gnome says they care more about applications than languages, and they are language-agnostic, so if you can write a better Tomboy without Mono, or promote a similar project that works just as well, I suggest you do so.

You always have options, so don't take Mono too seriously.

Shakz
May 14th, 2010, 02:48 PM
I am married.....I buy more than one cell phone at once. Also applies to cars, laptops and toothbrushes at my house :-D

Tristam Green
May 14th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Allegations that Linux users in general are cheapskates and FLOSS zealots, that don't want to pay for anything, got thoroughly debunked by the fact that Linux users donated 40% more than even the famously generous MAC users and almost twice what Windows users donated.
This shows that in general the Linux market is probably worth more than most have previously estimated.

Your numbers aren't supported.

http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=p&chs=170x78&chco=338833|883333|333388&chd=t:0.230376157521,0.526223164061,0.243400678419&chdl=Mac|Windows|Linux&chf=bg,s,00000000&chdlp=r

BuffaloX
May 14th, 2010, 03:47 PM

Linux 25% revenue, 14% # of licenses.

Avg. donation per license (rounded):
Windows 8$
Mac 10$
Linux 15$

Eddie Wilson
May 14th, 2010, 03:51 PM

http://chart.apis.google.com/chart?cht=p&chs=170x78&chco=338833|883333|333388&chd=t:0.230376157521,0.526223164061,0.243400678419&chdl=Mac|Windows|Linux&chf=bg,s,00000000&chdlp=r

Per user donations the numbers are supported.

Windows = $8.05
Apple - $10.19
Linux - $14.54

http://www.wolfire.com/humble

Tristam Green
May 14th, 2010, 03:57 PM
oh, then it almost sounded like the numbers were taken out of context.

On average Linux users donated almost 2x what Windows users did.

Overall their donations were on par with each other.

Eddie Wilson
May 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM
I've got to type faster. BuffaloX beat me to it.

Ric_NYC
May 14th, 2010, 04:41 PM
http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/3691/worldofgoo.jpg

October 13th, 2009.

http://kotaku.com/5391763/world-of-goo-birthday-sale-final-results-america-represent

Off topic: :)

2D Boy's website also features a chart showing the average donation by country, which they calculated into the per-capita gross domestic product of each country to determine each country's generosity. While Switzerland paid the highest on average, their generosity was only a 3.23 compared to Brazil's 5.62.

madjr
May 16th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Tomboy's still in there. I, personally, don't find Mono technically threatening, since people use patent-encumbered codecs all the time and never really whine about it like I used to (I used to push Vorbis stuff like no other!). Even if Microsoft licensed Mono or did something to try to keep it down, I'm sure people would use it anyway, since Microsoft doesn't own it worth $#!)(@#.

Of course, from a philosophical standpoint, I mostly support it as a variety in coding practices, but I can understand the worry surrounding it. I hope Microsoft starts to build a good track record with open source and respecting it now that it's an extremely viable contender.

Unlike Apple, there's not one person you can go to to bully. When you bully one of us, you bully all of us. There's only one way to fight against that- making a better product. I don't think we have much to worry about there. Anyway, wow, not trying to make this into another Mono thread. Jeez.

Anyway, Gnome says they care more about applications than languages, and they are language-agnostic, so if you can write a better Tomboy without Mono, or promote a similar project that works just as well, I suggest you do so.

You always have options, so don't take Mono too seriously.

ok this means you havent heard about gnote :O