PDA

View Full Version : A new type of "crossover" help Linux-to-Linux

eurgain
March 21st, 2006, 11:49 PM
Hi

I have been working with Unix-like systems since 1986, and with Linux-based systems since kernel 2.0.something, in the 1990s. However, as far as Linux is concerned, I mainly have worked with RPM-based systems; RedHat 5, and from then on SuSE.

I now have a couple of laptops running Ubuntu, but I also have several other machines still running SUSE, to their disadvantage, I believe.

The reason I have not switched is to do with being unsure of how to manage some administrative tasks. Maybe I am immagining it, but SuSE seems much nearer to my old SysV experience than "DeUbuntu".

With the superb work that the Ubuntu team has done, I expect that many users frrom distros Fe..,Red...,SuS..,Man..., will be converting, but they will be presented with many unfamilliar software management tools. From the simple world of YaST, I have found the apt* and dpkg* family quite a challenge!

So, as a suggestion: we have had many documents trying to get MS users over to our (i.e. Linux users') cause, so how about a document that can help RPM-based admins migrate to the DEB-based world, that includes Ubuntu?

A

BluGold
April 13th, 2006, 04:20 PM
Hello eurgain, Good point! Can I expand on that? :-k

I also have been into UNIX since the early 80's. Still have a couple of ATT 3b1's laying around. AKA UNIX PCs.:shock:

ALL new adventures have terms and verbiage that is unfamiliar at the beginning. Translating that into working functions in the brain can be very trying.](*,)

I'd like to suggest (and have been in various froms [and forums]) a means to accomplish it.:-k

That evolution (revolution) or steps to get there is now at:

First: a dictionay/glossary as in 'man [option]' or 'dic [option]' OK 'glo [option]'.

Two: a "term/acro" check (similar to a spell check tool) that identifies those terms when submitting to a forum such as this. Or even copying selected paragraphs to have an "term/acro" check. Would the FireFox extension 'Dictionary Tool Tip' be conceptually applicable here? Note: It doesn't work in the edit mode but does in the preview mode.

Three: Links that pop up similar to mouse overs that points to (or lists) other places in the forum that uses those terms.

If any of the above is currently available. Where it B? :???:

Started with JAT (Just A Thought)

Lemmeno, ...BluGold