PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Irritating Window On Login Screen

orphanlast
May 13th, 2010, 08:02 PM
I accidentally left my computer on when I had the "appearance" window up (Which is accessed through SYSTEM>PREFERENCES>APPEARANCE). One of my relatives was staying in the house and noticed this, didn't know how to turn off the computer because it's not Windows and turned the computer off while on the login screen.

Because of this, every time I restart my computer the APPEARANCE window appears on my login screen.

Does anyone know of a way to stop that from happening?

Thanks

:guitar:

bredman
May 13th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Use the menu item System/Preferences/Startup Applications to see if this application is marked to start automatically.

orphanlast
May 14th, 2010, 12:47 AM
Unfortunately it's not showing up as a startup file.

CharlesA
May 14th, 2010, 12:48 AM
Stupid question, but are you able to login, close it and reboot?

theozzlives
May 14th, 2010, 12:54 AM
I accidentally left my computer on when I had the "appearance" window up (Which is accessed through SYSTEM>PREFERENCES>APPEARANCE). One of my relatives was staying in the house and noticed this, didn't know how to turn off the computer because it's not Windows and turned the computer off while on the login screen.

Because of this, every time I restart my computer the APPEARANCE window appears on my login screen.

Does anyone know of a way to stop that from happening?

Thanks

:guitar:

That's interesting. First of all tell your friends to keep their grubby hands off your computer! Second, try logging on, bring up appearance and close it, then reboot the right way.

orphanlast
May 14th, 2010, 07:35 AM
Stupid question, but are you able to login, close it and reboot?

Oh yeah, that's all really easy.

That's interesting. First of all tell your friends to keep their grubby hands off your computer!

Yeah, it's better to have your computer running all day rather than just pressing the power button.

Second, try logging on, bring up appearance and close it, then reboot the right way.

Sweet, I'll give that a try tomorrow morning.

orphanlast
May 14th, 2010, 04:44 PM
Turning the computer on, getting rid of the attributes window and shutting it down didn't really do it.

Sealbhach
May 14th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Turning the computer on, getting rid of the attributes window and shutting it down didn't really do it.

This may be pointless, but try flushing out swap:

sudo swapoff -a
sudo swapon -a

orphanlast
May 15th, 2010, 05:49 PM
nope. That didn't seem to work.

I'm starting to have another problem. (Not sure if it's relivant). But sometimes the minimize, maximise, and close buttons won't even show up at the top of a window. Usually restarting the computer fixes that little problem. It's doing it less and less. I did and update on my system and the last time I restarted my computer (I did it about five times this morning) and after the fourth, it rebooted and "checked with errors with my hardware" and then rebooted itself again and when my desktop came up, everything was fine.

rhedman2
May 24th, 2010, 01:48 PM
I believe what you're looking for is..

sudo unlink /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow/gnome-appearance-properties.desktop