PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04 will not start

VideoRoy
May 13th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Still pretty new to Ubuntu but have really liked 9.10. I have a couple of systems running 9.10 and decided to try an Upgrade on my test system.

After running Update Manager and applying all current updates, I tried clicking Upgrade to 10.04 LTS at the top of the screen but nothing happens.

I have tried rebooting, complete shutdown, leave it sitting for a couple of hours after clicking the button but it just sits there. Eventually I have to click the X at the top of the window and force a quit.

Everything works great in 9.10 but I just cannot do the online upgrade.

Any ideas or help is appreciated. My last resort is going to be to down load the .ISO but I would sure like to do this online if possible.

darkod
May 13th, 2010, 07:21 PM
I don't know why this is happening but I can give you my opinion:

1. Upgrades often have hiccups. Clean install is always better than upgrade. That's why I have separate /home partition (at least) which allows clean reinstall of / but keeping all settings and files in /home.

2. Since you have more computers, if you still want to try upgrade, it's better to download the Alternate Install CD (image). Even if download traffic is unlimited for you, by downloading the cd you do it only once, and you can use it to upgrade all computers.

The alternate image allows upgrade, unlike the live cd (standard desktop image).

Also, you don't risk the downloading failing at one point and that corrupting the online upgrade process.

VideoRoy
May 13th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I don't know why this is happening but I can give you my opinion:

1. Upgrades often have hiccups. Clean install is always better than upgrade. That's why I have separate /home partition (at least) which allows clean reinstall of / but keeping all settings and files in /home.

2. Since you have more computers, if you still want to try upgrade, it's better to download the Alternate Install CD (image). Even if download traffic is unlimited for you, by downloading the cd you do it only once, and you can use it to upgrade all computers.

The alternate image allows upgrade, unlike the live cd (standard desktop image).

Also, you don't risk the downloading failing at one point and that corrupting the online upgrade process.
Thanks for the reply. That is sort of where I am heading since download CDs are not a problem.

I just had heard a lot of good things about Ubuntu's ability to do online upgrades so I wanted to give it a shot.

Unfortunately I did not think / learn about separating my /home until much later which I definitely want to do at least on my notebook. The good news is I dual boot right now so I can easily backup my data to a Win partition for now.