PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.04 wireless setup?

lakelovers
May 13th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I've installed 10.04 on a Dell 1200 laptop and cannot get the wireless card working. I've tried getting Ndiswrapper but it doesn't appear to be available on 10.04, and since I don't have an Internet connection, I can't download it. The card is a Broadcom Corp BCM4306 802.11 b/g. How do I get the card connecting to my Linsksys?

ajgreeny
May 13th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I think you need ndisgtk, which is certainly on the live CD, I have already used it a few times when running the live CD of 10.04 on an old laptop with a pcmcia card that only works with ndiswrapper.

lakelovers
May 13th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Okay, but who do I install ndisgtk form the CD? I tried synaptic but it didn't show (with the CD booted)

lakelovers
May 13th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I feel like a dunce but I don't know how to start ndiswrapper. I have ndiswrapper-common and ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 installed (from the installation CD) but I don't know the terminal code for opening one or the other.

Edit: I'm inching forward. I have ndisgtk loaded and looking for a driver to install. It's asking for an inffile and I have no idea what or where that is. I still haven't got ndiswapper up and I suppose I need that to proceed.

ajgreeny
May 13th, 2010, 11:03 PM
Here you go. As you can obviously get onto the net by some means or other, go to http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/net/ndisgtk even on a windows machine if necessary and download ndisgkt from there, copy it to your ubuntu machine and double click on it. That will open the package installer, gdebi, check for dependencies, and you should then get it installed easily.

After that go to System->Administration->Windows wireless drivers and you can then navigate to the windows driver.inf file that you must have available on a CD or copied to your hard disk.

lakelovers
May 14th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Thanks for the info. I now have bcmwl5 and bcmwl5a installed. The wireless card has power but still no internet connection. How do I configure the card? What is SSID, BSSID, and what mode do I use?. Also, what IPv4 settings and IPv6 settings do I use.
It's all very confusing to me.

ajgreeny
May 14th, 2010, 10:15 AM
Click on the network manager icon in the panel and you may find the wireless networks shown. Click on the one you want to connect to and enter any WPA or WEP password/passphrase etc and you may be OK.

lakelovers
May 14th, 2010, 05:06 PM
I got it working but I'm not sure I could retrace the process to help others because I just stumbled and bumbled my way through it. I think the key was getting the proper SSID in the configuration. Acronyms mean nothing to me. Something as simple as "card model" or "card ID" or "card #" would be helpful.