PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] I miss the 60 second shutdown delay in Lucid (10.04)

jlanawalt
May 13th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I recently upgraded my desktop system from Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic Koala) to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx) and am missing the feature where I would get prompted with a shutdown confirmation dialog that would auto-activate after 60 seconds. Now if I click the power button in the top right corner, and select shutdown I get the "are you sure" dialog without the 60 second count-down.

I like the "are you sure" because sometimes I click the wrong option, so I don't want to suppress_logout_restart_shutdown in / > apps > indicator-session of gconf-editor. I also like being able to walk away from the system and have it shut down without clicking again if I was confident I did click the right one.

I can click twice, no big deal. I am just wondering if there is a user option to bring back, and possibly set, the timeout. I didn't see mention of it one way or the other in /usr/share/doc/indicator-session/changelog.Debian.gz nor did I have any luck finding the feature in the 0.1.7 or 0.2.8 source.

I just came across bug 548415 which seems related to my question and points to the change which appears to not be configurable by some user option.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/indicator-session/+bug/548415

I also came across the ctrl+alt+del shutdown shortcut that pulls up a gnome-session shutdown/restart/suspend/hibernate dialog with a 60 second timeout and found that on my now-upgraded laptop the power button maps to this dialog.

While I am less likely to accidentally press ctrl+alt+delete than click the wrong thing in the shutdown menu, my toddler does occasionally go on power button rampages on the laptop so I'm glad the confirmation dialog is there. I believe it is gconf-editor > / > apps > gnome-session > options > logout_prompt but I haven't tested it yet. Maybe it should also have an option to configure or disable the auto-action timeout.

ghelbig
June 11th, 2011, 05:20 AM
I agree with those that say it is a useful feature that got removed.

I agree with those that say that the USER should be the one deciding how his user interface works.

Telling me what my user interface should like like is why I switched from windows.

Please don't start doing that in Gnome or ubuntu!