PDA

View Full Version : Rate my site?

Rob@ThePCWiz.info
May 13th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Hey guys, I think I am finally done editing the website for my IRC Network. I was hoping some of you might rate it and leave me some comments on what could be improved on.

Constructive Criticism please.

http://i-have-no.info

fatality_uk
May 13th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I'll be kind. It loads slowly!

cguy
May 13th, 2010, 12:04 PM
It's not appealing.

sxmaxchine
May 13th, 2010, 12:12 PM
i voted good but i would like it even more if it looked better.

ukripper
May 13th, 2010, 12:19 PM
looks website from 90's

dragos240
May 13th, 2010, 12:22 PM
I like the look of it. The design is nice.

Grenage
May 13th, 2010, 12:23 PM
The design is quite clean; that's the most important thing to me. Page hit counters are a bit old-school!

wojox
May 13th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Keep practicing Robert Whitney. Your getting there.

roccivic
May 13th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Could be better...

NightwishFan
May 13th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Could perhaps use a splash of colour, but I do like it. I agree with the others opinion of clean. As for loading slow, perhaps a bit, but it renders fine here on Epiphany webkit.

Rob@ThePCWiz.info
May 13th, 2010, 07:27 PM
It's not appealing.

What exactly is not appealing to you?
I probably should have wrote it in the beginning of the thread, but I could obviously use a few tips too considering there are so many votes against the sites design, loadtime, etc.

wojox
May 13th, 2010, 07:59 PM
How would you describe your site?

What is it exactly your trying to do?

Phrea
May 13th, 2010, 08:03 PM
It's bland, it doesn't invite people to look around further, it's just plain boring.
I like minimalism, but this is not the way to achieve that.

You may have guessed: I voted Bad.

EDIT: your tags say webdesign, I don't see any design of any kind.
I know it's not constructive, but there really is nothing to work with to be constructive.

98cwitr
May 13th, 2010, 08:10 PM
simple layout...voted good but it does need some work

Kid Gets Pwnd By Mom - WTF :shock:

Frogs Hair
May 13th, 2010, 08:33 PM
I think it needs some color. My spoon is too big ! !

The Real Dave
May 13th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Personally, I'd prefer if it was lighter, the colour I mean. Also, the rank counters make it appear amateur. The chat feature seems nice most people idling, but I didn't look at most other features.

Try opening up the page. Less is so much more, keeping it simple and bright is key in my opinion.

Also, well done one the URL :)

A good from me, but needs work.

Rob@ThePCWiz.info
May 14th, 2010, 08:49 AM
How would you describe your site?

What is it exactly your trying to do?

The website as i believe i mentioned before in my first post, is for the IRC network that I founded.

As for comments of others, the simple/clean layout I figured would be best. I have went through many layouts trying to find the perfect one that I thought might work out. I started out doing designs that would fit my taste, but would shortly find out that they would not work well across many different browsers. I finally stumbled upon one layout I really liked, and shortly changed a lot of it, and this is what I came up with.

The website is more for informational purposes about the network, how to connect, a small not so detailed help section, Bouncer Registration, user registration/back-end (not quite completed).

I plan on adding a few other services I would like to integrate into the website like a small forum, message board, more detailed user profiles, etc. But with all the time I've been wrapping up into this website, I've recently decided to take a little bit of a break.

Found mod_rewrite for apache2 just would not work out for me, so I ended up writing a PHP script to basically do that job for me, not too difficult actually, but after a few weeks I discovered every page was returning a 404 Error in the HTTP Headers (totally fixed that now) and was not being indexed by Google.

Now after seeing a few comments here, I looked around a bit at other IRC Network websites, and decided it could use a bit more liveliness to it, maybe a bit of color or something but not quite sure yet. If anyone has more specific suggestions they would be very much appreciated.

Thank you all for your criticism, it has been quite helpful, but lets see if we can get a little more and be just a tad bit more specific please. I could use as many ideas on how to improve the site, and make it look more attractive, as possible.

Also, I have tried to get links on other sites through something called Link exchange, thinking it might knock the site up a bit higher on search results, which ironically is also why I wrote in the articles section, starting with a few links I got from Free Software Foundation, and a couple other sites for the DRM article I wrote.

Anyway, I should wrap this up now, as it is 3:48 AM and I need to get some sleep. G'Night guys! =)

Khakilang
May 14th, 2010, 09:46 AM
Its nice and clean. But what does it do?

consindo
May 14th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Need some more colour maybe? Also you might want to change the fonts and change the images in the sidebar so they look... alike?

cap10Ibraim
May 14th, 2010, 12:16 PM
By accident I clicked good ! but it's not

Eisenwinter
May 14th, 2010, 12:19 PM
The whole advertisement thing there "A network like no other!" makes me feel like it's a second-rate brainwashing attempt.

dragos240
May 14th, 2010, 12:34 PM
The design is quite clean; that's the most important thing to me. Page hit counters are a bit old-school!

Yes, they are, but I like that.

cuzcom52
May 14th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Makes a change to see Times Roman as the font, although the majority of folk use verdana or arial on the web. I would change it back.

The header line could be more prominent.

The site map link at the bottom gives an error page.

You say Front-Page. Everyone else uses 'Home'.

The Welcome box needs the content spreading out a bit. It's not obvious what they are saying. Make them bullets?

I've seen a lot worse sites than yours.