PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 10.04 File Permission issue preventing nautilus from creating home folders

ptor
May 13th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I recently upgraded from 9.10 to 10.04 using the alt install disc. While I was still having to add "nomodeset" command in GRUB to allow the GUI to work (blank screen), otherwise my system was running properly.

The problem started when I checked something like a "do not ask for password on login" option in an administrative menu (foolishly, just to try it out). Upon reboot, my system loads normally until the login screen. I select my account, which does not ask for a password, and then the system hangs on the login splash. After a few seconds I get the following messages:

"Could not update ICEauthority file /home/~/.ICEauthority"

where ~ is my account name

" There is a problem with the configuration server (/usr/lib/libgconf2-4/gconf-sanity-check-2 exited with status 256)"

"Nautilus could not create the following required folders: /home/~/Desktop, /home/~/.nautilus"

After this it just hangs on the login splash. I would boot from the live CD, but due to the above GUI issue I have no way of actually getting into gnome to uncheck the option. :confused:

I am still relatively new to Linux, but would vastly prefer a solution which does not involve reformatting my system.

ptor
May 14th, 2010, 12:04 AM
Fixed this using:

sudo chmod 700 /home/~ in a root shell.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-newbie-8/locked-out-of-ubuntu-desktop-by-permissions-error-799626/

I was able to get into a half-blocked version of the desktop and change the password-prompt option.