PDA

View Full Version : Linux for Old Computers - PCLinuxOS OpenBox

gwilson
May 13th, 2010, 05:56 AM
If you are one of us who has some older hardware that you still want to make use of, you might want to try out the "Openbox" edition of PCLinuxOS 2010 that was just released. I have a ten year old Toshiba Satellite 600 MHz and 192 MB ram and this OS runs great on it while recognizing all of the hardware out of the box including the Netgear card. I've tried all sorts of distributions, and this has been the best solution.

Lubuntu is a huge disappointment for old systems. From what I can see, if you can run Lubuntu, you might as well run Gnome.

On my main system, I use Linux Mint, although I always have a current Ubuntu installation on another partition.

smellyman
May 13th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Lubuntu is great for older machines. (it is MUCH lighter than Ubuntu) Just not 600 mhz 192 megs of RAM. Really you only want to run a windows Manager at that point and any Openbox only distro is a pretty good choice.

AntiX would be a great option too.

john_spiral
May 13th, 2010, 08:01 PM
have you tried Slitaz? openbox distro

pookiebear
May 13th, 2010, 08:14 PM
running lubuntu this week. I will switch over and try pclinuxos openbox edition here in a bit and give my opinions. I will try to swap it over tonight. (I distro-hop a lot). I love slitaz, so fast, it just would not run a good resolution on my ATI video card.

mkvnmtr
May 13th, 2010, 10:50 PM
PClinux has a LDXE distro that is very good. It seems to use much less resources than Lubuntu. Any 10.04 Ubuntu flavor even minimal installs seems to use more resources than anything up to 9.10.

pookiebear
May 13th, 2010, 11:18 PM
Just installed pclinuxos OB edition.
speed feels similar to lubuntu. Memory usage is a few MB less for pclos.
first thing I noticed is that firefox launches QUICK
And videos on youtube are way smoother. No stutter on them like lubuntu(and a bunch of other ubuntu's) did on my laptop.
Good solid distro. I think they did a very good job.
Going to switch over to the gnome edition now to test it out.

gwilson
May 14th, 2010, 03:44 PM
Antix has been my mainstay, up until now. I have an even slower Toshiba laptop which is 400 Mhz and 192 MB, and Antix has proven to be the best by far up until now. I haven't tried the PCLinuc OpenBox on that one, yet. One drawback of Antix is that it seems to have a very spotty repository in that it offers certain programs but not the required dependencies. That has caused me problems a number of times in trying to install fairly common bread-and-butter programs.

Slitaz seemed like it was going to be a wonderful option, but it simply won't boot up on my older systems. Works fine on my main system, but I don't need to minimize resource use on that one; anything will run well on it.

The reason I tried PCLinux OpenBox right away was because Dreamlinux (based on PCLinux) also runs very well on old systems even with a pretty fancy desktop and a lot of the bells and whistles. OpenBox is faster, but Dreamlinux always worked immediately after install and correctly configured wireless cards and other hardware.