PDA

View Full Version : And that do *you* want to be when you grow up?

t0p
May 13th, 2010, 05:12 AM
What did/do you want to be when you grew/grow up? How close have you come to realising your dreams?

When I were but knee-high to a grasshopper, I wanted to be an astronaut. Then I wanted to be a writer. Then a teacher.

One day I'll want to grow up to be a lazy old so-and-so. Then I'll know I've really lived!!

JDShu
May 13th, 2010, 05:23 AM
As a child, a writer. In high school, an economist. Through university, a charity worker. But now I want to be a software developer - maybe in a way that benefits charities with a focus on economics and write on the side ;)

KiwiNZ
May 13th, 2010, 05:25 AM
From as early as I can remember I wanted to be in the RNZAF due to my family aircraft pioneering background, however due to a cruel luck of fate I was color blind and could not be a pilot.

I did however serve in another service of the forces with pride until leaving to follow a new career in IT. I remained in IT until my recent medical retirement.

I always wanted to serve from a young age I have done so as a volunteer rescue and Civil Defense Operative and other community organisations.

Although still young to be retired I can say I achieved that childhood dream to a degree. I am still an Aircraft enthusiast.

irish_latte
May 13th, 2010, 05:25 AM
As a kid I wanted to be an architect because my parents told me that's what I should do. Now that I'm in college I'm on my way to getting a degree in psychology.

Simon17
May 13th, 2010, 05:28 AM
I'm on my way to getting a degree in psychology.

You want to work at Jamba Juice when you grow up?

JDShu
May 13th, 2010, 05:33 AM

While the average psychology student might have to, you know nothing about this particular individual.

Rasa1111
May 13th, 2010, 05:37 AM
as a child~ wanted to be an astronaut,
in school~ wanted to be an astronaut,
in college~ wanted to be an astronaut,
Present~ want to be an astronaut.

still "only" 29.. but..
i have failed. lol

Space I have always thought of as 'home'..
but i think I really just want to be as far removed from the stupidity of the masses as possible. lol

So, I have settled for a 'career' in astronomy.
(seems the masses tend not to care much about it~ hell, they dont even "have time" to look up!) lol
Currently getting my "feet in" @ the local observatory the past few years.
So maybe one day my ride will arrive when I am servicing/using the 30" scope. :lol:

irish_latte
May 13th, 2010, 05:40 AM

Wow, you're nice. Actually I'm going into developmental psychology and helping kids. Jamba Juice not so much.

Simon17
May 13th, 2010, 05:41 AM
While the average psychology student might have to, you know nothing about this particular individual.

While even below-average people do, you know nothing about the canonical joke about psychology students?

Rasa1111
May 13th, 2010, 05:47 AM
While even below-average people do, you know nothing about the canonical joke about psychology students?

this post is just retarded.
So it takes a certain level of 'knowledge'.. to have heard a joke?
get lost with your dumb comments please.
maybe.. you know.. "add something" pertinent to the thread.
or finding another would also work.
unless of course you want to be a power ranger. lol

t0p
May 13th, 2010, 06:02 AM
as a child~ wanted to be an astronaut,
in school~ wanted to be an astronaut,
in college~ wanted to be an astronaut,
Present~ want to be an astronaut.

still "only" 29.. but..
i have failed. lol

Space I have always thought of as 'home'..
but i think I really just want to be as far removed from the stupidity of the masses as possible. lol

(seems the masses tend not to care much about it~ hell, they dont even "have time" to look up!) lol
Currently getting my "feet in" @ the local observatory the past few years.
So maybe one day my ride will arrive when I am servicing/using the 30" scope. :lol:

Rasa1111: I wouldn't say you've failed. Okay, so you're not an astronaut, up there in space... but as an astronomer, a part of you (some would say the most important part of you - your mind) is up there amongst the stars.

The closest I get to being in space is looking at the moon through a pair of binoculars. I get nice views of craters and stuff... but looking through a decent telescope is in another league entirely.

Astronomy is a cool field, and you've done well to break into it. Damn you!! ;)

Rasa1111
May 13th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Rasa1111: I wouldn't say you've failed. Okay, so you're not an astronaut, up there in space... but as an astronomer, a part of you (some would say the most important part of you - your mind) is up there amongst the stars.

The closest I get to being in space is looking at the moon through a pair of binoculars. I get nice views of craters and stuff... but looking through a decent telescope is in another league entirely.

Astronomy is a cool field, and you've done well to break into it. Damn you!! ;)

aww thank you bro. :)
i really appreciate it. <3
it has taken me about 27 years to 'break into'..
and now I cant believe I didnt do it sooner. lol

but as an astronomer, a part of you (some would say the most important part of you - your mind) is up there amongst the stars.

:D Beautiful my friend,
and you are right. :)

.. indeed... my mind is most always out amongst the stars.
even when people think it is still present with them in the same room, carrying on a seemingly coherent conversation. :lol: :KS

thanks t0p,
you are beautiful. <3 :KS + ∞

BslBryan
May 13th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Rasa1111, we are very similar. I only hope that I live to an age where space tourism isn't so expensive and I get to see the transition from blue to black at some point.

Anyway, I used to model, and I've been in a couple of movies, and theatre was something that I was heavily into at one point. Even had an imdb page. I've always been good at graphic design as well, so I did some of that. I'm a programmer, so I love to program and develop. I own a computer store, and ever since I played The Game of Life when I was younger, I'd wanted to be a computer consultant :P. Now I'm going to college for Cinematography and Music Business. Looks like, through all of my experiences in such a short time, I'm not going to be an astronaut until I *hopefully* have the opportunity to be a spaceflight participant. :)

Rasa1111
May 13th, 2010, 06:30 AM
Rasa1111, we are very similar. I only hope that I live to an age where space tourism isn't so expensive and I get to see the transition from blue to black at some point.

Anyway, I used to model, and I've been in a couple of movies, and theatre was something that I was heavily into at one point. Even had an imdb page. I've always been good at graphic design as well, so I did some of that. I'm a programmer, so I love to program and develop. I own a computer store, and ever since I played The Game of Life when I was younger, I'd wanted to be a computer consultant :P. Now I'm going to college for Cinematography and Music Business. Looks like, through all of my experiences in such a short time, I'm not going to be an astronaut until I *hopefully* have the opportunity to be a spaceflight participant. :)

:) Very niice bro.
I am fairly sure....
that we will get our ride(s), within this lifetime.
and while still inhabiting our current physical bodies. lol;) <3
thanks! :KS <3

Ebere
May 13th, 2010, 06:55 AM
As a kid, I just wanted to be growed up.

Now that I am one of the aforementioned "lazy old so and so"s...

I just want to be a kid again.

No wait.

I want to be a pwer ranger. Yeah ! Dat's it !!

matthew.ball
May 13th, 2010, 07:42 AM
For as long as I can remember I've basically wanted to be an academic.

I'm on my way there, though unfortunately there aren't many positions at my university for philosophy lecturers, and I have no interest in being at a different university.

That said, I have experience in higher-level mathematics (foundations) and a lot of computer science, so I should be able to find a niche. Especially as there aren't many "philosophers of computer science". My real interest is in metaphysics - particularly objects, which complements computer science quite well.

GarmaZed
May 13th, 2010, 08:39 AM
When I grow up, I want to be in a Mexican standoff. That and a recognized podcaster.

Heck, I'll get use out of that Communication degree somehow!

Chronon
May 13th, 2010, 10:17 AM
ever since I played The Game of Life when I was younger, I'd wanted to be a computer consultant :P.

Conway's?

Meep3D
May 13th, 2010, 12:29 PM

Tarot cards and crystal balls are stupid.

;)

forrestcupp
May 13th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I have a pretty intelligent 6 year old who always wanted to be a dump truck driver. We told him he's smart enough that he could probably design dump trucks, but he didn't want any part of that; he wanted to drive them. Now he wants to be a teacher. He still has a while to figure that out.

I want to be a lawn ornament salesman.

Tarot cards and crystal balls are stupid.

;)

Lol.

sxmaxchine
May 13th, 2010, 12:42 PM
when i was young i wanted to be an olympic swimmer, and now im to lazy to play sport and i want to be a programmer or so something with hardware because i like working with hardware moe then software

Shakz
May 13th, 2010, 01:27 PM
I have almost always wanted to be a cop. Even went into the Army because Texas DPS was taking 4 years army = to 4 years college. I didnt have any money when I graduated and neither did my parents so there ya go.

Got outta the army and started working at a telecommunications company. Now I am a systems analyst for an investment bank. Still want to be a cop but the pay just isnt there compared to what I make now.

98cwitr
May 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM
1. Systems Analyst (already am one...so Im content in my career)
2. Network Administrator (love the idea of connecting people and places together)
3. Technological Entrepreneur and Business Owner (I have this idea for an invention...just need to get it off the ground)

V for Vincent
May 13th, 2010, 04:15 PM
A professional musician. Unfortunately, I got into music rather late (I was 19 at the time), so it's not about to happen any time soon. Right now I'm on my way towards becoming a software engineer or something along those lines and I'm happy with that, too.

jetsam
May 13th, 2010, 04:29 PM
When I grow up, I wanna be a Jamba Juicer.

No, wait...

I Wanna Be Martha Stewart's Repo Man!

<fleas>

tadcan
May 13th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I wanted to be a writer.
I still like the idea of being a writer.
I just have to, you know... write.

So jamba juicer is like being a waiter at starbucks, just extra happy and full of love about the healthy product?

jetsam
May 13th, 2010, 05:09 PM
Writers are intolerable to live around. Who's not a writer anyways? Who died and made you writer?

tadcan
May 13th, 2010, 05:31 PM
Its just an aspirational idea to have what you write reach out to an audience.

Its not like I'm asking to be king of the world.

Chill out..

jetsam
May 13th, 2010, 05:40 PM
Thank you, I shall.

Offense intended, but no harm I hope.

Rasa1111
May 13th, 2010, 05:43 PM
:lol:

interesting one you are sam. lol :P

lykwydchykyn
May 13th, 2010, 05:49 PM
First I wanted to be a genetic engineer, because I had this idea that they made tons of money and invented cool new animals all the time.

Then I wanted to get sucked into a wormhole and live in an alternate reality.

Then I got over that and wanted to be a rock star. By this point I was old enough to start implementing my nutty ideas and I spent many years being a starving musician.

Now I have a low-stress government job that lets me play with computers and come home every night and weekend to a loving family. So thankfully, I did not succeed.

Sometimes dreams are not what they're cracked up to be.

tadcan
May 13th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Thank you, I shall.

Offense intended, but no harm I hope.

No harm done, just confused as to why my post promoted an angry response. All I did was answer the question posed by the OP.

Rasa1111
May 13th, 2010, 06:04 PM
No harm done, just confused as to why my post promoted an angry response. All I did was answer the question posed by the OP.

i think sam just has a rather 'unique' sense of humor, honestly. lol
one that most of us dont quite 'get'.. at least not at first. :lol:

clanky
May 13th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Always wanted to work at sea in one form or another from as far back as i can remember. Discovered a love for science and things mechanical when I was around 11 and gravitated towards engineering.

All through school when the idea of choosing a career started to become an issue my dream job was as a marine engineer, now "living the dream" so to speak.

Although it has not always been quite the fun and excitement that I had hoped for I can honestly say that if I could make all of my choices again I wouldn't do much differently.

98cwitr
May 13th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Screw it, I want to be a Linux Admin :D

Ebere
May 13th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I have almost always wanted to be a cop. Even went into the Army because Texas DPS was taking 4 years army = to 4 years college. I didnt have any money when I graduated and neither did my parents so there ya go.

Got outta the army and started working at a telecommunications company. Now I am a systems analyst for an investment bank. Still want to be a cop but the pay just isnt there compared to what I make now.

I was a cop.

And before that, I was an MP in the army.

But the pay didn't compare to what I could earn in construction. So, I ended up with a career in construction.

themarker0
May 13th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I want to be a Social/Youth Worker. Run a shelter for abused kids, with CAS. Yea...

Rasa1111
May 13th, 2010, 06:31 PM
I want to be a Social/Youth Worker. Run a shelter for abused kids, with CAS. Yea...

<3 Respect.

Phrea
May 13th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I always wanted to be a writer.
It came true, I'm writing this.

alexfish
May 13th, 2010, 09:54 PM
If you had ask me this question some time in the past I would have given the appropriate Answer , but since I am grown up , this is my answer

Not Grown up:guitar:

Shakz
May 13th, 2010, 10:01 PM
I was a cop.

And before that, I was an MP in the army.

But the pay didn't compare to what I could earn in construction. So, I ended up with a career in construction.

Thats what my brother does. He was also in the army...got out and did construction. He is pretty high up now...a "Super" or some such thing. Back in the day he offered to get me on where he was when I graduated. Opted for the army instead because he had recently hurt his back...he got no pay while he was down. I didn't like the idea of that. Took him a while to catch up on his bills.

Hman242
May 13th, 2010, 10:17 PM
I'm only 15 so I've still got classes and careers ahead of me. I would like to graphic design. It's a hobby of mine and since I don't think I would be able to do something else well enough to make a living from it, I have chosen graphic. Just because I don't think I could do anything else well doesn't mean I'm forcing myself to do it. I like to do it. Unfortunately my school is in a rural area, so there isn't really any classes to take for it.

nothingspecial
May 13th, 2010, 10:38 PM
One shouldn`t eat strawberries in May!

Paqman
May 13th, 2010, 10:46 PM
Either a pirate (yarr!) or a 500ft-tall killer robot that shoots jet planes out of it's eyes.

nubimax
May 13th, 2010, 10:57 PM
When I was young I wanted to be a commerical fisherman. When I was 30 I had saved enough to buy a fishing boat fished for15 years.tough,hard,work and 45 I was to old to keep it up. so did other things mainly with boats. now I am a very old fart and look to those 15 years of fishing with fond memories.
M.

thatguruguy
May 13th, 2010, 11:06 PM
When I was 13 (nearly 30 years ago) I got my first computer. At that time, I wanted to do something computer-related when I grew up, but my dad thought that it was probably a dead-end job type of thing. A friend of mine at the time thought I'd make a good attorney, my mom wanted me to be a doctor, and my dad thought I should be a CEO of a company some day. I decided I wanted to be an attorney first, and then be the CEO of a company by the time I was 40. (As an aside, an alarming number of CEOs have law degrees).

By the time I was a freshman in college, I realized I could date whoever I wanted. ANYONE I wanted. I decided that if I were to marry anyone, she'd have to be both hot (because, c'mon) and rich (so I'd know she wasn't marrying me for money). I was pre-med the first two years in college took the MCAT early (after my second year) and did well enough to get into med school. I decided to change course and graduated with a degree in economics, and went to a top-10 law school. While on spring break in Jamaica during my second year of law school, I met one of the hottest women I'd ever seen. Although she lived in Chicago and I was going to school in Virginia, we dated (long-distance) through the remainder of my second year in law school. As it turned out, she was from a really wealthy family. We got married while I was still in law school. By the time I was 25, I was a practicing attorney in Chicago. A few years later, we moved to Kentucky, where I still am.

By the time I was 34, I was on my second marriage and had quit practicing law to form my own web-design company. For a while, I made more money than I ever had as an attorney. Unfortunately, my main client eventually decided to outsource a lot of its work to India, and I lost my main source of income as a web-designer.

When I was 37 (some 3 years ahead of my plans when I was a kid), I was hired as the CEO of a medical equipment company. Business went well (We increased revenues by over 40% in 2 years), but I constantly fought with the guy who was the primary shareholder/chairman of the board of directors. He and I had basic disagreements with the way things should be done; "my way" made us successful, whereas "his way" ended up with him receiving a federal indictment. Out of necessity, we parted ways.

Now I'm 42 and practicing law again, and have no idea where my life is going next. I achieved the goals I had set for myself, but hadn't planned on anything past the age where I am now. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing. As (I think) John Lennon said, "Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans." Have an idea what you want to accomplish, but don't be surprised if things don't work out exactly as planned. It's OK if they don't, as long as you're the one deciding where life takes you next.

Zyrtec
May 14th, 2010, 12:06 AM
I'm on the track to becoming a Physicist, but I've declared minors in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science on the side.

I just really love technology and science, and these mix of courses has really taught me a lot and kept my interest in the fields.

This is the first year I've learned to program (with my first computer science class), and I found it extremely interesting. Physics has always fascinated me, and continues to do so. Electrical Engineering allows me to be creative and come up with something physical as a product, where all my calculations and labor went into it.

I'm just rambling now :P

xaegis
May 14th, 2010, 12:13 AM
Happy.:)

BrianBoatrightAIA
May 14th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Good choice. Don't be an architect. I could tell you horror stories that would keep you awake for days. Every student who comes to me to learn what it's like gets the unvarnished truth.

vandorjw
May 14th, 2010, 12:25 AM
When I was younger I wanted to be a carpenter.

I went to high school and my grades were good enough to go to University for Electrical Engineering. (I had very little idea what it actually meant becoming an engineer at the time I applied...still not sure I made the right choice)

I am now halfway through, and in the summer work in construction.

Rasa1111
May 14th, 2010, 12:42 AM
Happy.:)

of all the great responses..

I feel this,
the wisest. :KS +1 <3

Hambombj
May 14th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Many years ago, when I was at school I wanted to be a chef.
When I left school, I became a car mechanic
then a MOT tester
Then a coded welder/ building spirit tanker's and articulated trailers.
Now I want to be a chef !!!

well did I do it? Yes it a way, I'm a great cook and my family and friends love my cooking.

lol

dominiquec
May 14th, 2010, 12:59 AM
More properly: what should you be when you grow up? That said, it's not an easy question to answer.

I worked with big IT vendors for several years (DEC and IBM), but eventually got tired. Now I teach computers and literature (different departments) at a university.

As an aside: I'm currently reading "What Should I Do with My Life?" by Po Bronson. Sounds like a self-help book, I know, but it's not. It's profiles of people who made career changes. Something like this thread :-)

t0p
May 19th, 2010, 01:33 PM
When I was a child I wanted to be an astronaut. But at the time it appeared that the only way to become an astronaut was to be a jet test pilot. So I planned to join the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm (so I could become a test pilot somewhere along the way, plus Harriers are so damn cool.

Unfortunately, I developed myopia, which (at the time anyway) meant I couldn't qualify as a jet pilot. Damn damn damn. So out went the ambition to be an astronaut. And then what happens? They send scientists, engineers, flaming (no pun intended) grade school teachers up there! Sometimes I hate this reality and desperately want to know how the heck to get off this bus! :(

I did quite well at school, gaining good grades in English and foreign languages. So I am now a freelance teacher of English to speakers of other languages. The pay ain't great, but I like teaching, and being self-employed allows me to spend lots of time on my other interests. At the moment I'm playing with Estes rocket engines. Maybe I can build my own space ship?

Rasa1111
May 20th, 2010, 02:24 AM
When I was a child I wanted to be an astronaut. But at the time it appeared that the only way to become an astronaut was to be a jet test pilot. So I planned to join the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm (so I could become a test pilot somewhere along the way, plus Harriers are so damn cool.

Unfortunately, I developed myopia, which (at the time anyway) meant I couldn't qualify as a jet pilot. Damn damn damn. So out went the ambition to be an astronaut. And then what happens? They send scientists, engineers, flaming (no pun intended) grade school teachers up there! Sometimes I hate this reality and desperately want to know how the heck to get off this bus! :(

I did quite well at school, gaining good grades in English and foreign languages. So I am now a freelance teacher of English to speakers of other languages. The pay ain't great, but I like teaching, and being self-employed allows me to spend lots of time on my other interests. At the moment I'm playing with Estes rocket engines. Maybe I can build my own space ship?

That's awesome bro,
The teacher bit i mean,
Id like to be a teacher of some kind also someday I think.

sure, teachers dont make allot of money..
but you know what they do make.. that most of the world does not....?

A Difference! :D

I too, would often like the bus to stop so i can just get off.
this world is completely backwards..
and many times.. I would rather just leave it behind. lol

We can build our own spaceship...
but we have to be careful...... lol
DoD like to come knocking when they learn you have learned ;) :lol:
:p