PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Login screen not showing in Karmic

bguiz
May 13th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Hi,

Installed Ubuntu Karmic about a week ago, and it has been running without problems until today.

However, when I turned on the machine today, it boots up as it normally would, and gets to the brown backdrop with the white "spotlight" in the middle. After the Ubuntu icon and progress bar disappear, I usually get a log in dialog, where I can click on my user name and enter the password.

However, the last step, the log in dialog does not appear at all now.

The machine is not hung, because it responds instantly to a press of the power button, and the power off button pressed dialog appears, and I can click on it with my mouse, and it appears.

I can also press Ctrl+Alt+F1, Ctrl+Alt+F2 to go to text mode, however, when I do this, I do not get a black screen, but multiple colours flashing over the whole screen. I can switch back to the brown screen in which the login dialog is supposed to appear, using Ctrl+Alt+F7, however and the flashing stops, however, still no log in dialog.

Is there a key stroke I can use to "force" the log in dialog to appear?

Also what can I do about the multicoloured full0screen flashing when I am in terminal mode?

Many thanks in advance