PDA

View Full Version : limewires under fire now.

sandyd
May 13th, 2010, 02:46 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/13/technology/13lime.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

not sure if its part of politics, so close if neede.

mister_playboy
May 13th, 2010, 03:03 AM
That link goes to the New York Times, BTW... some of us have learned to be very wary of clicking on redirected links. :-&

TheNerdAL
May 13th, 2010, 03:08 AM
I thought Limewire was already illegal.

Phrea
May 13th, 2010, 03:17 AM
That link goes to the New York Times, BTW... some of us have learned to be very wary of clicking on redirected links. :-&

Indeed, there is no reason to use url shorteners here.

JDShu
May 13th, 2010, 03:18 AM
Who uses limewire these days?

lisati
May 13th, 2010, 03:19 AM
I thought Limewire was already illegal.

AFAIK Limewire (and similar) isn't illegal everywhere (if at all) - the problem seems to be with what people choose to share through it.

TheNerdAL
May 13th, 2010, 03:38 AM
AFAIK Limewire (and similar) isn't illegal everywhere (if at all) - the problem seems to be with what people choose to share through it.

Oh, I get you because some people choose to share free movies and music, right? Causing it to be illegal then?

Mr. Picklesworth
May 13th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Well, I'm not keen on blaming the makers of pipes for what those pipes contain… it's reminding me of that blasted three-strikes Internet regulation thing people keep trying to push through. (Even Rogers is against it.) (http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5030/125/)

On the other hand, I am always happy to see the closure of those unethical routes through which people work around other peoples' software / media prices. If everyone had to pay full price for Photoshop — if the rampant piracy of that product hadn't created some strange delusion in public opinion that you can “just get it” as if it's free or something — GIMP and free software in general would be in a way better position.

A lot of people have become very dependent on Limewire since it has been around for a long time. Imagine if this pushed them to actually buy music from iTunes (since they all own Apple media players at the moment) and then ask hard questions like “why does it cost $20000 to make full use of this device's storage space?”…

“Piracy” is strengthening the mind-share monopoly established by Apple, Microsoft, Adobe and others by making it unnecessary (and costly) to explore alternatives. If that gets broken and people start to really examine their options, it will be beautiful.

Or someone will just make Lemonwire and we'll be back where we were.

Phrea
May 13th, 2010, 04:01 AM
Oh, I get you because some people choose to share free movies and music, right? Causing it to be illegal then?

No, the software is still legal.
What people chose to share with it wich isn't always legal, but that doesn't make the program itself illegal.

3rdalbum
May 13th, 2010, 04:05 AM

No; the people who share copyrighted movies and music on Limewire without permission from the copyright owners, are the ones performing illegal actions. Also, the people downloading the copyrighted media are breaking the law too.

Limewire itself is not illegal.

Jpenguin
May 13th, 2010, 04:11 AM
Kindo like torrents; people use it for movies+software, but is great when used properly (BitTorrent is the only way to go for ISO's)

Ewingo401
May 13th, 2010, 04:20 AM
Well, I'm not keen on blaming the makers of pipes for what those pipes contain… it's reminding me of that blasted three-strikes Internet regulation thing people keep trying to push through. (Even Rogers is against it.) (http://www.michaelgeist.ca/content/view/5030/125/)

On the other hand, I am always happy to see the closure of those unethical routes through which people work around other peoples' software / media prices. If everyone had to pay full price for Photoshop — if the rampant piracy of that product hadn't created some strange delusion in public opinion that you can “just get it” as if it's free or something — GIMP and free software in general would be in a way better position.

A lot of people have become very dependent on Limewire, and those people are probably responsible for a lot of the malware that gets spread around. Imagine if this pushed them to actually buy music from iTunes (since they all own Apple media players at the moment) and then ask hard questions like “why does it cost $20000 to make full use of this device's storage space?”…

“Piracy” is strengthening the mind-share monopoly established by Apple, Microsoft, Adobe and others by making it unnecessary (and costly) to explore alternatives. If that gets broken and people start to really examine their options, it will be beautiful.

Or someone will just make Lemonwire and we'll be back where we were.

This is the most sense making thing I've read on the internet in a long time.

Rasa1111
May 13th, 2010, 04:27 AM
who cares, limewire sucks. :)

sandyd
May 13th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Indeed, there is no reason to use url shorteners here.

I got and pasted the link from twitter on my phone.

typing out the entire url... well.... its hard...

in other words...

mister_playboy
May 13th, 2010, 06:24 AM
I got and pasted the link from twitter on my phone.

typing out the entire url... well.... its hard...

in other words...

That makes sense. I honestly could not understand why a link redirector would be used on this forum.

The case is pointless because LimeWire is open-sourced and shutting down the company means little. Users can move over to FrostWire... in fact, they might as well already be using it since it's a better program anyway.

BslBryan
May 13th, 2010, 07:18 AM
That makes sense. I honestly could not understand why a link redirector would be used on this forum.

The case is pointless because LimeWire is open-sourced and shutting down the company means little. Users can move over to FrostWire... in fact, they might as well already be using it since it's a better program anyway.

Limewire is not open source, but Frostwire is.

MaxIBoy
May 13th, 2010, 08:20 AM
This judge's ruling is ludicrous. You might as well sue the Internet for the same infringement, if you can find its lawyer.

As for people arguing economics: things fundamentally change when information is digitized. Supply becomes effectively infinite, so no matter how great the demand, the value is always very close to zero. Don't bring economics into this because you'll loose.

toupeiro
May 13th, 2010, 10:19 AM
wow, I didn't realize people still use p2p so heavily honestly.

Tristam Green
May 13th, 2010, 12:22 PM
i was also under the impression that limewire wasn't big news anymore.

Grenage
May 13th, 2010, 12:30 PM
The only times I've ever seen limewire, is when I look at someone's virus-filled and malware-bloated computer; it's usually the source.

pookiebear
May 13th, 2010, 01:26 PM
The only times I've ever seen limewire, is when I look at someone's virus-filled and malware-bloated computer; it's usually the source.

ditto

CharlesA
May 13th, 2010, 01:53 PM

Same here. Would you like a Trojan with that download?

mister_playboy
May 13th, 2010, 06:27 PM
Limewire is not open source, but Frostwire is.

LimeWire is GPL software. FrostWire is a fork of LimeWire.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LimeWire
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FrostWire

i was also under the impression that limewire wasn't big news anymore.

It's not very good compared to Bittorrent, IMO, but it is still very widely used. It's the de facto standard among less technically savvy users.

bigsmitty64
May 13th, 2010, 06:28 PM
the only times i've ever seen limewire, is when i look at someone's virus-filled and malware-bloated computer; it's usually the source.
+1