PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] 32 or 64 bit Pentium D 820 em64T

ArtLaForge
May 13th, 2010, 12:51 AM
Hi forum experts; I have built many computers both AMD and Intel based, but I'm new to Ubuntu and its compatibility to these two cpu designs. My research shows that they have different architectures that have some differences in their control registers. In my Linux research it looks like there are a couple of kernels that work for the em64T but they didn't say which kernels. This was a rather old article and I hope I hear that since Intel's newest cpu offerings are em64 all the amd64 kernels will work fine. If I go through the trouble of finding the right kernel to run 64 bit the mother board only supports 4 gig of memory, so to start off I feel like I'm wasting my time.

Since this build is for a family member that struggles with locating the power on button I think he would be happy if it just worked. All opinions/suggestions will be carefully studied and hopefully will help influence the final decision. If this computer would be sitting in my computer room with my other three I would just load 64 bit and play with it, I'm online with maverick, so I do like to have fun. All suggestions are welcome.

:guitar:

jjcv
May 13th, 2010, 05:51 AM
I would simply download the 64bit live cd, put it in you cd tray then reboot from it.

This will boot you into a live 64bit environment and you can try out for yourself and see if everything works. If you are happy you can do an install from the live cd.

ArtLaForge
May 13th, 2010, 11:49 AM
I would simply download the 64bit live cd, put it in you cd tray then reboot from it.

This will boot you into a live 64bit environment and you can try out for yourself and see if everything works. If you are happy you can do an install from the live cd.

Thanks. Tried that. Everything seems to work fine with the live cd. I'm running the 64 bit install now.

kevinatkins
May 13th, 2010, 12:10 PM
I've been using the 64-bit version of Ubuntu for about 18 months now and it works well, subject to a few small wrinkles.

The most irritating problem I have found is that there are a few issues with 64-bit flash in Firefox. You'll find that if you try to play a youtube video (for example), it will work but you won't be able to click on the transport buttons / time slider etc in the video. There are workarounds to this, one of which is here -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1470136