PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] IBM xSeries 225 won't load off the CD

Kirbysuperstar
May 13th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Hi there,

I'm trying to load 10.04 (normal, not the 'server' edition) onto this huge thing, but the CD won't boot. It first shows the purple screen with what I assume is the "accessibility" option, then moves to a black screen with a blinking '_' and then in a bit it changes to the Ubuntu splash with five dots and... never does anything. No HDD activity, no CD activity, no movement on the screen, nothing.

Any clues at all?

Regards,

Gareth

EDIT: 9.10 doesn't want to start either.
EDIT again: Just noticed there are blinking Caps and Scroll lock lights. That's.. a kernel panic, isn't it?

Kirbysuperstar
May 13th, 2010, 03:01 AM
Well, I managed to get it to boot. Sort..of.

I installed Windows, and then WUBI'd it from there. Then when the GRUB prompt came up I chose the second option, whatever that was. The monitor HATES it though - the image is almost quad-lined, and kind of starts halfway down the screen and wraps back around. The monitor's OSD is whinging about not using the optimum mode and has since dropped to a black display, but it's still installing, so I don't want to touch it.

Kirbysuperstar
May 13th, 2010, 03:21 AM
And here's a lovely error message. Hopefully somebody can tell me what it means:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4979400/2010-05-13_12.15.11.jpg

john4
July 16th, 2010, 10:51 PM
I'm sure this no help to you but I am install 10.04 on a x225 as well, but the CD's can't find the hard drives (IBM U320's). I'm trying the alt install cd right now.