PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Modify the way we browse files

AGAUT
May 12th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Hi,

I am new to Ubuntu and currently using 10.04 cos i really like the idea of having the desktop configured the way I want and which is the primary reason for switching from MS Windows.

I have started learning Linux commands but confused how to get what I want. I am explaining my requirement below.

Say, you want to open a file which is located in a folder on drive D. Now the standard way we do is to click 'Places' on Panel, move to Drive D and click it open, locate our desired folder and click it open & locate our file.

Now you guys are also aware that if I click 'Applications' or 'Systems' in the first place and then move my mouse over 'Places', I dont have to CLICK it. It opens on it's OWN !!

Now I want just the same to be done for the subsequent stages too. So, instead of clicking on Drive D, it should get open and display the contents restricting the view to 5 contents and a 'more' option should allow me to browse for all the files in the Drive D by expanding the whole view. Similary, when i locate the folder, it should display the files in it the same way as above.

Hope my requirement is clear. Let me know if anyone has thought of similar thing.

I just want to make my desktop cool and would appraciate if anyone can guide me or give me some basic idea of commands that will help me achieve what i need.

Many thanks in advance guys.

Anurag