PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade to 10.4 hung and now will not boot

solomonson
May 12th, 2010, 10:24 PM
This morning I decided to upgrade from 9.10 to 10.4. It downloaded all of the packages and started to install and about half way through, a popup box said something about not having network connectivity. For some reason I lost networking on that system (my other computer had network).

At that point in the installation there was a progress bar that said "40 minutes remaining". I closed the popup and hoped for the best. After about an hour the progress bar did not move. I opened top and saw a process called lucid. It was eating about 40% CPU. The hard drive light was not on. I killed lucid and restarted the networking service. It did not come up. So I restarted the machine.

Now I can't even get into Ubuntu. It seems to hang at tmidity service. I restarted in linux safe mode and I see a curses dialog to try restore but a bunch of errors overwrite the dialog and it doesn't seem to work.

Other possibly important details:
-Ubuntu was installed under Windows Vista
-Vista still boots fine
-It's an AMD64 install on a laptop.

What can I do to get Ubuntu back?

dino99
May 12th, 2010, 10:29 PM
i think its better to make a clean install again

mini howto: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9216264&postcount=14

solomonson
May 12th, 2010, 11:58 PM
Is there a way to access the data? I had a few files I was hoping to keep.

Catharsis
May 13th, 2010, 02:40 AM
You should get to them if you boot the LiveCD.

belwood
May 13th, 2010, 04:50 PM
I did the same upgrade on my laptop his morning with the same result - appears to hang on boot. :-(

Unfortunately, both the live CD and install CD do the same thing - blank screen on boot, no disk activity; looks hung or dead.

My workaround was to boot from the HD in recovery mode (grub was still working fine).
- ran the package repair (just in case)
- booted to low-resolution.

Everything appears good (for now). My problem was likely to do with my vid driver - it's an old Dell X300 laptop.