PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help please, can't seem to run Ubuntu 10.04 download from iso cd....

liviococcia
May 12th, 2010, 06:10 PM
Hello Members
I'd like to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.04, but i only have a Mobile Broadband connection so upgrading via 'Update Manager' is not possible.

What i then did was to download an .iso copy from the main Ubuntu website's main web-page, i followed the process first picking my download country, i then burned this download to a CD disc as an .iso image using the suggested CD burning software, this was all performed using a Windows XP pc at my workplace.

Now at home, i've put this disc into my CD rom drive and the disc is mounted onto the desktop, also a message window had appeared this had only two buttons to pick from 'Cancel' and 'Start Package Manager', there was no 'Run Upgrade' button to choose from.

I also tried the Alt + F2 to open the 'Run application' box, and typed in...

gksu "sh /cdrom/cdromupgrade"

...this did not do anything, and no messages appeared.

I then opened the CD .iso image and tried to run files by double clicking over them, nothing happened.

Have i downloaded, and copied the wronge .iso file to run the disc as an upgrade?, or, can i still use what i've downloaded to upgrade to 10.04?

Members help would be grateful

Kind regards
Livio

mikewhatever
May 12th, 2010, 06:28 PM
If you downloaded the desktop iso, then yes, it's not the right file. You need to get the Alternate iso to be able to upgrade from it.

liviococcia
May 12th, 2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks mikewhatever for the quick reply, is this 'alternate' version a complete Ubuntu 10.04 version, or is it a slimmed download version, and also where do i find the download link for it please.

regards

arpanaut
May 12th, 2010, 07:11 PM
http://mirror.anl.gov/pub/ubuntu-iso/CDs/lucid/

How to Upgrading Using the Alternate CD/DVD:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading#Upgrade%20from%208.04%20LTS%20to%2010.04 %20LTS

liviococcia
May 13th, 2010, 08:23 AM
Many thanks arpanaut for the help. and the links.
regards