PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Apache won't use user directory

Radly
May 12th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I'm configuring Apache for the first time on this box (8.04 LTS) and Apache2 for the first time ever. "Out of the box" it runs fine and I get the "It Works" page okay. But I'd like to use the virtual site feature to direct Apache to a folder in my user space, and I keep getting errors.

When I point a browser at localhost, the 404 message is "The requested URL / was not found on this server." and the /var/log/apache2/error.log ends with "File does not exist: /htdocs.

Here's my config file from the apache2/sites-available folder:

NameVirtualHost *
<VirtualHost *>
ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

DocumentRoot /home/daryl/public_html/
<Directory />
Options FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
</Directory>
<Directory /home/daryl/public_html/>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
<Directory "/usr/lib/cgi-bin">
AllowOverride None
Options +ExecCGI -MultiViews +SymLinksIfOwnerMatch
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>

ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log

# Possible values include: debug, info, notice, warn, error, crit,
# alert, emerg.
LogLevel warn

CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined
ServerSignature On

Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
<Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
AllowOverride None
Order deny,allow
Deny from all
Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128
</Directory>

</VirtualHost>

I diff'ed this file with the default and the only differences are in the DocumentRoot line and the <Directory ...> line.
My public_html folder has permissions 755 and the index.html file is 644.

What am I missing?

cdenley
May 12th, 2010, 06:55 PM
ls -l /home/daryl/public_html
ls -ld /home/daryl/public_html
ls -ld /home/daryl
ls -ld /home
ls -ld /
sudo /etc/init.d/apache2 restart
echo -e "GET / HTTP/1.0\n"|nc -q 1 127.0.0.1 80

Radly
May 12th, 2010, 08:54 PM
Well, I'm not quite sure whether you're just suggesting I do those things, or suggesting I do them then post the result. In any case, I'm restarting with a clean slate (different distro), so this issue is now moot (until I have the same problem again with the new distro). Thanks, anyway.

cdenley
May 12th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Well, I'm not quite sure whether you're just suggesting I do those things, or suggesting I do them then post the result. In any case, I'm restarting with a clean slate (different distro), so this issue is now moot (until I have the same problem again with the new distro). Thanks, anyway.

The restart, in case you didn't know it is necessary for a new configuration, the permissions for all parent directories, because the www-data user needs permission for all of them, and the netcat command to verify there is actually a problem with the server, and not your browser caching a previous response.

Radly
May 12th, 2010, 10:33 PM
I got it about restart. I've done that and "reload" a dozen times or so. And it looks like I'm coming back to Ubuntu after all--I can't get anything other than Ubuntu 8.04 on my machine (Fedora 12, Ubuntu 10.04, and Debian 'squeeze' all crash with the same stack trace, Ubuntu 9.10 can't detect my Ethernet card. I think this "one world" distro is trying to force me where I don't want to go--a new processor. :)

Radly
May 13th, 2010, 03:45 PM
And the answer is...

When Ubuntu installs, it sets the permissions on the user's home directory to 754, not allowing "others" to navigate the directory, which blocks Apache from looking for .htaccess files. So here's the new question: for now I've just made that directory browseable (755), but I have this niggling feeling that a more secure solution is out there somewhere to be found; what might that be?

cdenley
May 13th, 2010, 03:58 PM
And the answer is...

When Ubuntu installs, it sets the permissions on the user's home directory to 754, not allowing "others" to navigate the directory, which blocks Apache from looking for .htaccess files. So here's the new question: for now I've just made that directory browseable (755), but I have this niggling feeling that a more secure solution is out there somewhere to be found; what might that be?

And that is why I had asked for the output from this command.

ls -ld /home/daryl

You could do this, but it won't make much of a difference

sudo chgrp www-data /home/daryl
sudo chmod 754 /home/daryl

Or you could use ACL's.

Radly
May 13th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Okay, I'll mull that over. If "it won't make much of a difference", it goes to the bottom of my To-Do list. :)

Thanks again!