PDA

View Full Version : The "ultimate" web developer toolbox

ja660k
May 12th, 2010, 03:42 PM
hey all,
Im almost finished my university course, and from it i want to have all the skillset for web development

here is my list of MUSTS

xhtml/css
jquery/js/ajax
php/ruby
SQL
java J2EE or asp.NET (for web services)

why?
xhtml/css - because web, derr.
jquery/js/ajax - to enrich the user experience, and in some cases the server is not needed
php - its still widely used today
ruby - its new and rails is kickass
SQL - well, where is your web app going to be without a DB (except xml)
Java J2EE - web services and enterprise level web applications
asp.NET - (i hate microsoft) Just because of the ammount of c# jobs, asp.NET would be a bonus

What would your ideal web developer toolbox look like?

tbastian
May 12th, 2010, 04:09 PM
I'm going to start this off with a disclaimer: I'm not a web developer and don't know a whole lot about it. BUT I do do a lot of c/c++/java development, so I'm not completely clueless.

I cringe every time I hear 'the ultimate tool'. In my experience, things that try to be all things for all people generally fail, or end up being very mediocre in all things. For this reason I use different tools for different applications. I would suggest finding a few tools that do only a few things, but do them well.

The reason for the disclaimer is: I'm not sure how interrelated all your requirements are, and maybe a web developer needs all of them bundled into one... so if thats the case, my apologies for wasting your time.

ja660k
May 12th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Thats very true,
I agree with your statement about generalization and specialization.
But (to me) the problem is that web is very open and broad
and i feel i will miss out on much of the other aspects if i become specialized in J2EE for instance over the rest.

roccivic
May 12th, 2010, 04:36 PM
My list would look very similar to yours, but I'd have GIMP, InkScape and Blender in mine, too. Websites need graphics, right?

I'm also looking into OpenGL and WebGL at the moment. WebGL is still work in progress, but I bet that eventually it will be massive.

ja660k
May 12th, 2010, 04:46 PM
My list would look very similar to yours, but I'd have GIMP, InkScape and Blender in mine, too. Websites need graphics, right?

I'm also looking into OpenGL and WebGL at the moment. WebGL is still work in progress, but I bet that eventually it will be massive.

that is very true... But web/Graphic design is a completely different topic (*shudder) i chose intro to graphic design, then dropped it after the assignment about colour's... question, how does purple make you feel?
](*,)
and webGL, yeah html5 is eventually going to kill flash.

tbastian
May 12th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Thats very true,
I agree with your statement about generalization and specialization.
But (to me) the problem is that web is very open and broad
and i feel i will miss out on much of the other aspects if i become specialized in J2EE for instance over the rest.

I'm sorry, I think I actually misunderstood your question. I thought you were looking for a development tool, which did all of the above! (I guess I didn't read it closely, sorry!).

But I suppose what I said is still somewhat valid because it is hard to be an expert in 7 languages at the same time. I find that if I don't use a language often I get pretty rusty. On the other hand, its easier to pick up again after having learned it the first time.

roccivic
May 12th, 2010, 08:57 PM
how does purple make you feel?
But that's easy: It depends on where this colour is. If it's the colour of my suit jacket, then it will make me feel like a pimp.

Barrucadu
May 12th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I have a smaller list of essentials than you:

XHTML
CSS
SQL
PHP

With those 4, you can create almost any site you need. Of course, for good measure, throw in Atom and RSS.