PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] "Download package files only" for upgrade?

pelago
May 12th, 2010, 03:29 PM
I want to upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04, and Update Manager is telling me that it will take several hours to download 1.5GB of updated packages on my relatively slow connection. Because of the use of the machine, I don't really want to leave it downloading and updating for several hours.

Is there a way that I can download the required packages to a cache, maybe over several sessions, and then separately kick off the installation process once everything is available?

Synaptic has a tickbox to "Download package files only" which does a similar thing to my request for normal package upgrades, but I don't see a tickbox like that in Update Manager when doing a major version upgrade.

tommcd
May 12th, 2010, 04:42 PM
I want to upgrade from 9.10 to 10.04, and Update Manager is telling me that it will take several hours to download 1.5GB of updated packages on my relatively slow connection. Because of the use of the machine, I don't really want to leave it downloading and updating for several hours.

You have answered your own question.
If your internet connection is " relatively slow" then it will take a "relatively" long time to do a dist-upgrade.
Do a clean install of Ubuntu 10.04 from the 10.04 install CD. Or sit back and wait for the dist-upgrade to finish.
There is really no way to speed up a "relatively slow" internet connection.

pelago
May 13th, 2010, 10:21 AM
I'm not wishing to speed up my Internet connection as such, just spread the download over multiple sessions. At the moment, if I start the update process going and then cancel at 50%, I don't know if it keeps the downloaded packages or wipes them. Does anyone know?