PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 10.04 and Nagios 3.2.1

mab1376
May 12th, 2010, 02:27 PM
The e-mail notifications don't seem to be working, I found a tutorial which said I should install the package "mailx" which has 3 candidates and I don't know which one to use.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/nagios-network-monitoring-system-setup-in-ubuntu.html

sudo apt-get install mailx
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package mailx is a virtual package provided by:
mailutils 1:2.1+dfsg1-4ubuntu1
heirloom-mailx 12.4-1.1
bsd-mailx 8.1.2-0.20090911cvs-2ubuntu1
You should explicitly select one to install.
E: Package mailx has no installation candidate

I tried the first package, "mailutils" and still it's not working.

This is the command that is supposed to send out the email.

# 'host-notify-by-email' command definition
define command{
command_name host-notify-by-email
command_line /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n" | /usr/bin/mailx -s "Host $HOSTSTATE$ alert for $HOSTNAME$!" $CONTACTEMAIL$
}

lemming465
May 15th, 2010, 12:42 AM
You probably need an MTA and an MUA. Typical transmission agents are postfix, sendmail, or exim4. Typical command line compatibility user agents would be something like bsd-mailx.

mab1376
May 16th, 2010, 09:00 PM
I have sendmail and heirloom-mailx installed but nagios does not send the notifications, even though I can send mail to myself from the command line.

lemming465
May 17th, 2010, 03:30 AM
If you have sendmail installed, is there any reason to not use |sendmail -t as your submission mechanism? You just have to make the first few lines be To: Subject: and a blank line before the message body.

mab1376
May 17th, 2010, 04:16 PM
the message formatting is handled by nagios completely using variables which is gets from the application.

define command{
command_name host-notify-by-email
command_line /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\nNotification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n" | /usr/bin/mailx -s "Host $HOSTSTATE$ alert for $HOSTNAME$!" $CONTACTEMAIL$
}

chubuntu
June 1st, 2010, 08:44 PM
We had previously compiled nagios and ran it on 8.04 LTS. After upgrading to 10.04 LTS, mail notifications stopped working.

Installed the bsd-mailx and everything is fine.