PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Logout shortcut? Stuck in session..

earthtoclinton
May 12th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Hi all,

For some stupid reason I installed the new unity interface on my computer for a peek (lucid). When I logged in I was greeted simply with a blank screen showing my wallpaper. I am unable to log out to choose either my gnome or Lxde sessions. Obviously everytime I restart it goes straight back into the blank unity session...I tried ctrl+alt+delete, which brings up the shutdown menu, but it doesn't have a logout option. Any help would be great!!

mimor
May 12th, 2010, 12:18 PM
If you do Alt+F2 and type gnome-terminal, can you bring up a terminal that way?

mhgsys
May 12th, 2010, 12:31 PM
press ctrl+alt+f1

Login on the tty with your username and password.

once logged in type;

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
followed by your password;

(this will stop gdm / x)

then to get it running again type;

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

earthtoclinton
May 12th, 2010, 01:38 PM
mimor, unfortunately your option has no effect, but thanks anyway. mhgsys I tried your approach - as soon as I hit ctrl+alt+f1 it seems to do something, but then goes to a blank screen indefinitely, as if in hibernation or something. Thanks for the help..If I have screwed it somehow I guess I'll just re-install..

earthtoclinton
May 13th, 2010, 05:14 AM
Sorry to be a pain and bump, just wondering if anyone else has any ideas before I look at doing a re-install. Cheers

night1727
July 31st, 2010, 04:34 AM
i have this same problem but the screen shows the dectop flashing and when i try to do thing it resets it.

hariks0
July 31st, 2010, 08:24 AM
May not be of assistance right now, but you can try the link at my signature later after reinstall.