PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Compiz - Static Application Switcher Problem

LeboyX
May 12th, 2010, 05:26 AM
While I'm a huge fan of Compiz, the latest version that came with Ubuntu 10.4 has an unwanted feature I cannot disable.

When cycling through my windows with "ALT + TAB", each window I cycle through is immediately brought ("faded") to my desktop, whether I have selected it or not. While I'm sure this is nice for some, it's slow and distracts from what I'm actually trying to do.

Is there any way to disable this auto-display feature?

markbl
May 12th, 2010, 06:34 AM
I actually like this feature but can understand not everybody may. You would think the ccsm static app switcher "Highlight Mode = Bring Selected To Front" default option changed to "None" would do what you want but it does not seem to change anything?

LeboyX
May 12th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Indeed...selecting "none" for that field doesn't seem to affect switching at all. Am I missing its affect, or is this a bug?

mlissner
July 6th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Yeah, this appears to be a rather annoying bug. I've tried changing it in gconf-editor and in ccsm. Both efforts failed for me.

Boludinux
August 26th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I have exacly the same problem, bump

Cavsfan
August 26th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I use "Shift Switcher" (CCSM - Window Management). ALT+TAB shows the open objects in a ring.
It works well and I am happy with it. ALT+TAB goes to Next Window, but I did have to enter a
command for Previous Window (Shift+ALT+TAB) to go the other way.

I like it.

Boludinux
August 26th, 2010, 10:05 PM
I use "Shift Switcher" (CCSM - Window Management). ALT+TAB shows the open objects in a ring.
It works well and I am happy with it. ALT+TAB goes to Next Window, but I did have to enter a
command for Previous Window (Shift+ALT+TAB) to go the other way.

I like it.

When I discovered this bug I started using it too but its not the same, I feel it a lot more unconfortable when a try to find an application and I have 6+ windows opened.

So thats not a solution sorry.

Cavsfan
August 26th, 2010, 10:14 PM
When I discovered this bug I started using it too but its not the same, I feel it a lot more unconfortable when a try to find an application and I have 6+ windows opened.

So thats not a solution sorry.

Maybe that's not your solution. We haven't heard the OP's opinion.
There are a lot of settings in Compiz which can lead to confusion.

sacapeao
April 24th, 2011, 10:56 PM
@Mint 10 Julia:
~ $ compiz --version
compiz 0.8.6
highlight mode: None brings selected windows to front

sacapeao
April 24th, 2011, 11:09 PM
found a workaround
select highlight mode: None + set Opacity to 100%