PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu 10.04 can't see my hard disk

javyn999
May 12th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Hey all. I'm trying to install Ubuntu 10.04 amd64 on a system I recently built that currently has Windows 7 installed.

Strangely, when I booted from the install disk, I got an unrecoverable error. Ubuntu.com said in that case, try to install from a live session, so I did that.

Live session install worked fine until I got to the partitioning section of the setup. Nothing displayed in the partition space and all my partition options were greyed out!

I have tried several things. I tried booting from my Lubuntu 32 bit that I know works (running on my laptop), it could not detect the hard disk either.

I tried booting into Windows 7 and shrinking the partition in the Windows partition manager and seeing if Ubuntu's installer would detect the space that way...no such luck.

cfdisk would not work either. Gave a big fat cannot access the disk error.

fdisk -l displays nothing.
Gparted from the live session is a no-go as well.

I'm at my wits end here! Can anyone help?

BTW, relevant hardware:

GIGABYTE GA-770TA-UD3 AM3 AMD 770 SATA 6Gb/s USB

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

I wouldn't think that Ubuntu should have a problem detecting this...

geowtx
May 12th, 2010, 03:45 AM
check this out http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1310560&highlight=sata . I suffered with the same problem this worked for me.

javyn999
May 12th, 2010, 04:10 AM
thanks, tried that as well still nothing :(

javyn999
May 12th, 2010, 04:36 AM
Problem solved. I tried plugging into a different SATA port. Apparently the installer doesn't like SATA 6. (Have a SATA 3 drive, but was plugged into a SATA 6 port).

pepoweb
September 12th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Thank you!

After hours of trying all kinds of stuff to upgrade an AMD64 machine from 8.04 to 10.04 I was about to eat my hat ;-)

Changing the disk to a different SATA-port did the trick.

The machine is installing as we speak!