PDA

View Full Version : How would I go about.....

dragos240
May 11th, 2010, 11:56 PM
Getting a job at my local supermarket? I want to get a job there..... however, I have no idea what I would fill out, or what I will do. Any advice you can give me? I would appreciate it.

RiceMonster
May 11th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Write up a resume. Go in and ask them for an application form. You may also want to try and talk directly to the manager when you apply.

lisati
May 12th, 2010, 12:03 AM
<reflection>
I sometimes wish I'd the gumption to get a job at one of my local supermarkets in my younger days, to help fund getting some geeky stuff. Back then, having an IMSAI machine (like in the movie "War Games") would have been neat.
</reflection>

Sometimes stores in my local mall have "help wanted, apply within" signs in their front windows. Another thing to watch out for is community noticeboards in malls.

Berk
May 12th, 2010, 12:03 AM
Run, run a mile! Then if there's still a supermarket within a mile, run further.
I'd never wish supermarket work on anyone, long live our robot servitors when they come in to do our work.

dragos240
May 12th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Run, run a mile! Then if there's still a supermarket within a mile, run further.
I'd never wish supermarket work on anyone, long live our robot servitors when they come in to do our work.

Wait... What?

dragos240
May 12th, 2010, 12:52 AM
Yeah, I also have no other job experience..... so.......

NMFTM
May 12th, 2010, 12:55 AM
If they ask what skills you have, you should tell them about all of the nerdy stuff you do on the computer. Even though it has nothing to do with the job, it'll separate you from all of the other people your age who don't have it. It will also show that you can stick with something long enough to get good at it.

jflaker
May 12th, 2010, 12:56 AM
For a supermarket job, I wouldn't do a resume as that would be a bit overkill. And since you no job experience, there would be nothing to boast about so it would be a bit sparse.

Go into the store and ask to speak to the store manager then, being yourself, ask about employment.

It is as simple as that.

Frogs Hair
May 12th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Some stores have terminals that you fill out an E application on , but it's always best to talk to someone .

t0p
May 12th, 2010, 02:56 AM
When I was a young 'un and still at school, I had a Saturday job at my local Sainsbury's (UK supermarket chain). I didn't submit a resume or anything so fancy. I just walked in, asked to see the manager, then asked him if there were any jobs going. Simples.

Tell you what though: the hours were long and the pay was dreadful. Supermarkets love hiring schoolkids because they can get away with paying a pittance. Schoolkids generally don't care that the wages are awful - they don't need to pay rent or bills or buy their own food so it's all good. But it isn't the place to work if you have any kind of financial responsibilities.

RiceMonster
May 12th, 2010, 03:23 AM
When I was a young 'un and still at school, I had a Saturday job at my local Sainsbury's (UK supermarket chain). I didn't submit a resume or anything so fancy. I just walked in, asked to see the manager, then asked him if there were any jobs going. Simples.

Tell you what though: the hours were long and the pay was dreadful. Supermarkets love hiring schoolkids because they can get away with paying a pittance. Schoolkids generally don't care that the wages are awful - they don't need to pay rent or bills or buy their own food so it's all good. But it isn't the place to work if you have any kind of financial responsibilities.

As a school kid though, you don't exactly have a lot of options. You're pretty much going to be working minimum wage in a place like that, unless you luck out and know the right people or something.