PDA

View Full Version : Do you work/intend to work in the computer science field?

Warpnow
May 11th, 2010, 11:25 PM
Just wondering what the ratio is of computer science students/workers to the rest of us.

kevin11951
May 11th, 2010, 11:32 PM
Well, i work/plan-to-work in the computer repair/lan admin field... does that count?

jrusso2
May 11th, 2010, 11:35 PM
Well I am an adult and have been working in IT for over ten years.

TheLions
May 11th, 2010, 11:38 PM
well I'm student of computer science and I intend to work in my field...

Brent0
May 11th, 2010, 11:43 PM
Well, I'm looking into colleges right now for computer science.
*Off Topic*
If anyone knows of good schools near Chicago let me know. And let's stop saying "Well". :)

pricetech
May 12th, 2010, 12:10 AM
I've been in IT for 12 years now.

Old_Grey_Wolf
May 12th, 2010, 12:53 AM
I've designed computer hardware, software, GUIs, integrated systems, and so on, and so forth, for the past 3 decades. I just keep learning new things. Continuously re-educating myself. Free Open Source Software is great for trying new technology for the purpose of continuing education.

jflaker
May 12th, 2010, 12:58 AM
I have been in the IT field since 1991 well before there was Computer Science courses. It was an electronics school which was transitioning to computers as computers were JUST coming out for the masses.

topCturV
May 12th, 2010, 12:58 AM
Due to downturns in my previous trade of over 30 years, I am now one of those "Old Fart" full time college students taking Computer Technician Networking hoping to carve out a new career for myself.

So in answer to your poll, I do intend to work in the field.

One small note : Out of all the things I imagined, thought about, and speculated about going back to school, it definitely never crossed my mind ... that I couldn't read and or see the blackboard any more. Doh!!! :guitar:

chillicampari
May 12th, 2010, 01:01 AM
I was in IT for about a decade starting in the mid '90's (programming, applications and web development + technical services w/fallback systems admin and general hardware). No CS courses, just worked my way in from data entry.

WRDN
May 12th, 2010, 01:11 AM
I'm currently at Hull University (http://www2.hull.ac.uk/) studying Computer Science with Games Development Bsc. I'm in my second year (just finishing it), and will soon (hopefully) be switching to the MEng Game Dev course, as they give you industrial experience, something that should be invaluable. Hopefully going to move onto doing games, though I've already (in first semester of the 2nd year) had offers of a job/ business share from some course friends who are setting up a business when they love.

Other than that, I've just been in the Imagine Cup Microsoft Competition (http://www.robmiles.com/journal/2010/4/17/hull-imagine-cup-success.html), and am going back next year with our eye tracking solution we created :)

So, in answer to your poll, "Yes".

conradin
May 12th, 2010, 01:15 AM
I didn't intent to be an IT guy, Im aiming for elctrotech but I all ways get pulled back to systems management, and more software stuff. Electrotech doesn't count as computer science in my mind.

FiveSidedPoly
May 12th, 2010, 01:15 AM
I am a Information Assurance Security Manager at the PA National Guard Battle Command Training Center (Simulations/Training stuff) here in Pennsylvania. I am also a Tactical Message Systems Team Chief one weekend a month and two weeks in the summer. Got a few other things under my belt too.

Also have a degree in 3D Animation, working on one in Game Art & Design, those are the areas I really want to get into more. But the other stuff pays the bills, feeds my cat, and for all my geek toys.

Don't have as much time as some people here, but I'm sure I will some day, unless I decide to take that job a KFC.

TheOrangePeanut
May 12th, 2010, 01:18 AM
I have my bachelors in CS, and I currently do web development as my day-job and as my "make money on the side" job, so I would say that is a 'yes' :)

kid1000002000
May 12th, 2010, 01:21 AM
it seems like school has the potential to just suck the fun right out of cs. could be wrong, of course. haven't tried it myself. for all of you who made it through school, I am sure there will be a range of opinions.

Sporkman
May 12th, 2010, 01:29 AM
it seems like school has the potential to just suck the fun right out of cs. could be wrong, of course. haven't tried it myself. for all of you who made it through school, I am sure there will be a range of opinions.

If you take it seriously & approach the theoretical side of it with enthusiasm, you'll likely find it very rewarding.

Changturkey
May 12th, 2010, 03:06 AM
Does programming all day ever get boring?

Sporkman
May 12th, 2010, 03:15 AM
Does programming all day ever get boring?

No more so than doing anything else all day.

Changturkey
May 12th, 2010, 03:16 AM
No more so than doing anything else all day.

And does a CS degree necessarily = programming job?

Sporkman
May 12th, 2010, 03:21 AM
And does a CS degree necessarily = programming job?

I can't say for sure. I do not have a CS degree, yet I've been working as a software engineer for the past 9 years (I have a BS & MS in math).

lostinxlation
May 12th, 2010, 04:06 AM
I worked on high end microprocessor design for 11 years and worked on ADSL chip development for 8 years, but they're in computer engineering field, not science.
To work in computer science field, you don't have many opportunities. The chances are you either work as research staff at universities or private/public research facilities.

phrostbyte
May 12th, 2010, 04:41 AM
I work in the public sector as a Computer Scientist.

chessnerd
May 12th, 2010, 07:08 AM
At the moment, yes, but I was planning on going into Marketing just a 4 months ago, so I'm not sure...

BrokenKingpin
May 12th, 2010, 01:58 PM
I am a computer programmer, so yes.

ukripper
May 12th, 2010, 02:06 PM
Already working!

98cwitr
May 12th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Systems Analyst (non-programming) = CS field? if so working in public sector. :)

cap10Ibraim
May 12th, 2010, 02:22 PM
computer science student , but I met Ubuntu before any Linux course
anyway I don't feel comfortable about dual booting all the time

cap10Ibraim
May 12th, 2010, 02:32 PM
To work in computer science field, you don't have many opportunities. The chances are you either work as research staff at universities or private/public research facilities.

that's it !! :confused: I don't think so

MindSz
May 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Working! (More in the Computer Engineering field tho).

Paqman
May 12th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Nope, i'm an engineer. I've got a lot of friends in IT, and it seems like a bit of a pain to work in that industry, so i'm quite happy to leave them to it.

RiceMonster
May 12th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Yes, I work in IT at a bank.

m4tic
May 12th, 2010, 06:19 PM
hi. I read you were doing compu science. Well i am doing mechanical engineering and unhappy, i'm looking to switch to computer sciences or software design and was hoping you could tell me how the course is, difficulties, subjects your taking and stuff.

Thanks